5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Locked Forms in Word (Office 97)

I am helping a local volunteer fire dept that has "lost" the person who originally set up their records keeping process. They are using WORD 97 (from Office 97). The fellow created forms to use to record information about personnel and equipment. They try to make changes to a form (unlocking it) but the change does not stick. I have never worked with forms in Word so am at a total loss on how to help them. If you could direct me to an informational site about this topic that would be great.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Locked Forms in Word (Office 97)

First suspicion: If the original is a template (Something.DOT) and they are making the change in a new document (Document1) based on that template, they need to open the original and change it there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is not in changing the actual form - it is changing information on a completed form. For example, one of the volunteer firefighters moves and they need to change his mailing address. They can input the new address but it will not stick. They click on SAVE but it will still not "stick".

Thanks

To change the data in a form field, you usually do not unlock (unprotect) the form. You simply type over what's there. You only need to unprotect it to change the properties of the form field.

If it is some other kind of field, pressing Alt+F9 may reveal whether it might be drawing data from some external source, such as a document property or an AutoText.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi.
    I found this web page that talks about preserving text box values.
    See the link to get some possible answer???

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:VOfou...docs/Preserving text entries in Word form fields.pdf+word+form+fields&hl=en
    Regards,
    Rudi