Thanks

Re: Windows XP SP2 (Windows XP )

If I read this correctly, it is not a new issue, and if you are skeptical of strange e-mail messages, you should not fall prey to this hypothetical exploit.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Jscher2000:

Actually you did not read the post correctly, the copied pasted information was for anyone who has not come across the information. This is the whole purpose of posting on a thread were others can read or receive extra knowledge, that would help them understand better.

I only realised today that there was a service pack, with RC2, which is not for single computer, but for networks, since reading the information on microsoft, I am aware of this matter.

The fact that you have this massive grin on your face, I will take it as just you being a tired, since you missed my question in the first paragraph.

dillon

Thanks

Let me restate my comment: If I read the post correctly, the vulnerability exists in Windows XP, and in SP1 and is not newly created by SP2. The vulnerability is not a reason to avoid installing SP2, but is a reminder that we need to be very cautious in dealing with strange e-mail messages giving unconventional instructions.

As for whether you will get the pop-up again notifying you that an update is available to install, you probably will, but since I don't use this feature (I go to Windows Update instead), I don't know when or what will cause it. I know that when I restart a Dell program runs that invites me to check for updates. Perhaps if you restart Windows it will re-notify you that you have downloaded updates awaiting installation.

RC2 -- Release Candidate 2 -- is Microsoft-speak for an advanced public beta. The Automatic Update feature should not download RCs, only finished updates. It is very, very unlikely that it downloaded RC2. Instead, if you run Windows XP Home, you may have downloaded SP2 -- Service Pack 2. Microsoft started pushing SP2 out to home users yesterday. Should you install it? I suggest you check with your antivirus and software firewall vendors (if needed) to verify compatibility, and check some of the active threads on this board to see whether conflicts are mentioned with any products you use. Otherwise, given the very long testing period, I think it's reasonably safe to install.

I hope this answer makes more sense than the first one.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP SP2 (Windows XP )

Edited by StuartR to remove Copyright material. The link in this post will take you to a web page with the original article. <!profile=StuartR>StuartR<!/profile>

Hello everyone:

Can anyone shed any light on the following article I found by accident. Speaking of accidents, I noticed this morning that the automatic update was on my computer, and I accidently pressed cancel, instead of download, may this was a good thing. Will the update be available again on my computer?

Flaws in SP2 security features
    Author: J

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Here's a different view of the problem SP2 'Flaw' Report Falls Short . I do not believe that what you saw was RC2. SP-2 is now being pushed to XP Home users through the Automatic Update service. As to whether you should download or and install. I highly recommend that you download and install. But, it is your decision and should be done after you understand the changes in the service pack. You can start here Windows XP Service Pack 2

Joe
    Joe