Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Spybot's not-so-bright idea

Following the discovery of a virus on XP, and the user's decision to Fix the Problems, Spybot S&D will by default create a System Restore Point, thus neatly moving the offending EXE, DLL or whatever into the System Restore area, where it is picked up by the usual antivirus scan of the hard disk...

Can someone remind me how to delete an individual System Restore Point, or a file within a specific one, preferably remotely? (I can link to the offending PC's C: drive, but am getting the usual "You do not have permission to access this directory"-type messages).

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spybot's not-so-bright idea

Hi John,
    Not sure about XP, but the standard cure on my WinME is:
    Stop System Restore
    Reboot
    Start System Restore
    Reboot
    What this does is it cleans out all your exising restore points and starts system restore fresh.
    HTH
    Bob

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's a bit drastic, and none too easy to do remotely!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

you probably know all of this, but this is what I found searching:

Administrator
    Thanks

John,

Have you looked at Spybot's Settings panel? Creating a Restore Point is configurable.

Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Ms Skitterbug!

I was using SMS 1.2 on NT4 to Remote Control this XP PC for someone who had (also) signed on as a Domain Administrator, and had done all you suggest (bar the last two points, of course!) -- but the System Volume Information directory came up with the message described earlier. (I didn't really want to put all that, but you've twisted my arm!). I will have to go 120 miles to beat this unfortunate about the head for getting the Company Record of 139 adware and virus items to be deleted onm a single PC...

The view the Restore Point directories works fine on my non-domain-attached XP Pro box at home, of course!

John

PS Joe - yes, I found that the Spybot System Restore Point creation was the default option <big>after</big> I had run Spybot, which caused the infected DLL file disappear into the System Volume Information directories!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Perhaps an AV product can delete the file as part of a manual scan of that folder? It seems rather drastic to drive 120 miles to do something that an AV program should do automatically.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson

It tries, but it says it can't delete it because it was "in use". I'm still working on it, but I've suggested, not entirely seriously, that the chap (who is an alleged techie, by the way!) rebuilds XP Pro on a new hard drive... It was full of the Gator/GAIN stuff/rubbish that Ad-Aware loves!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John

I had a similar situation in that Norton ID'd an undesirable which turned out to be in the Restore Point file. Unfortunately, it would not eradicate the culprit. My only solution was the one suggested earlier... turn off System Restore Points, reboot and turn SRP back on.

Bob

Thanks

Restore point files should not be "in use." Something is very wrong there. (For reference, I have had success cleaning out restore points using Trend Micro's OfficeScan product.)

Bottom line, rebuilding is the only way to truly have peace of mind.