New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel workbook corrupted (2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1))

Hi,

While working on a shared workbook (managed by me), it suddenly hung up. While it was a 2.6 MB file, it showed consuming the maximum memory and wouldn't open. Now anyone who tries accessing it cannot open it. Can I recover my data without buying any tool like ExcelRecovery? Is it something to do with the .xlt file? I can however access other Excel sheets

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel workbook corrupted (2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1))

See if the replies to <post#=394668>post 394668</post#> are helpful.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel workbook corrupted (2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1)

I hope you have a recent backup of the file because your options are limited.

Microsofts options for recovering data from damaged Excel 2000 workbooks are mainly based on being able to open the file. The best option for you from those listed in the article would be How to link to data in a file that is damaged in Excel 2000 though you will not be able to recover any formulas.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans and Tony. I guess there was a stroke of miracle and I could open the file (had to wait for an hour loading it). It finally opened up and I immediately copied and pasted the contents onto a new excel sheet. Tell me one thing, while one excel sheet of mine (also a shared workbook, 7 MB, shared between 55 users), a plain vanilla excel based db works very well and has been (touch wood for that) pretty stable, this one, full of color-coding using conditional formatting (I had put in conditional formatting and data validation), a 2.6 MB file crashed. Does the color coding and data validation affect the file properties when made shared?

Thanks again for your help. Woody's Lounge has been absolute God-send to us lesser mortals.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I wouldn't know the answer to that, but like Steve (sdckapr) in the thread I pointed to, I don't trust sharing Excel workbooks.