3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy presentation from CD to hard drive (PowerPoint 2003/2002)

A friend of mine has a PowerPoint presentation on CD. He would like to copy it to his hard drive. Obviously, File>Save is not the correct method. I recommended making a folder on the hard drive and copying the contents of the CD to this folder. Is this advice valid?
    I tried this a few weeks ago when I copied a presentation from CD to my own computer. The presentation was created with PowerPoint 2003. From what I can see, it plays either when I click on the file with the name of the presentation and it plays through PowerPoint or when I open the PowerPoint Viewer and view the presenation from the Viewer.
    Have I used the correct procedure or is there something else that I should keep in mind?
    Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy presentation from CD to hard drive (PowerPoint 2003/2002)

There are several ways to copy a file from a CD to hard disk in Windows Explorer:

- Make sure that the contents of the CD are visible in the right hand pane of Windows Explorer, and that the destination folder on the hard disk (which may be an existing folder or one you just created for the purpose) is visible in the left hand pane of Windows Explorer. Drag the presentation from the right hand pane onto the destination folder and drop it there.

- Select the presentation in Windows Explorer and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C); then navigate to the destination folder on the hard disk, and paste the presentation (Ctrl+V).

And yes, you can open the presentation from Windows Explorer, or from within PowerPoint or the PowerPoint Viewer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for your quick response. I assume that when you say select, copy and paste the presentation into a folder on the hard drive, you mean all the files that are present on the CD, not just the file that has the name of the presentation.
    Thanks again.
    Alan Silberlight

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Depends on what you want. You asked about copying a presentation from a CD to hard disk, so I thought you meant a single file. But if you need multiple files, by all means select them all, then either drag and drop, or copy and paste them.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you again. Perhaps I should have said that the presentation that I copied to my hard drive had sounds included. I noticed that when I copied just the presentation the sounds did not play. When I copied every file on the CD to the folder on the hard drive, the sounds did play. To play safe, perhaps i should copy everything that is on the CD.
    Again, thank you very much. I do appreciate it.
    Alan Silberlight