3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP install issues (XP SP1)

I have been running Win XP SP1. However, I seem to need to do a reinstall every 4-6 weeks. In any reinstall, I have difficulty with drive letter assignments. I understand that I sould be able to reassign drive letters (except C using the utility, and others seem to be able to do this, but this has NEVER worked for me. Whenever I do a drive letter reassignment, it appears to work, but some behavior is incomplete, and/or the icons don't transfer, and/or .... I also am unable to assign drive letters during Windows installation (using the OEM CD that came with my Gateway 710). What I want is (after A: and C D: = 2nd 250 GB SATA drive, E: = DVD R/W drive, F: = CD R/W drive, G: - J: = USB drives (multimedia inputs), K = 120 GB firewire-connected drive used for backups. Can I use a maintenance reinstall to clear up the drive performance, without reinstalling everything?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Win XP install issues (XP SP1)

What utility are you using to do the reassign?

I am NOT aware of any method of doing this during the Windows install. I use "Start, All Programs, Admin Tools, Computer Management" and the select the Disk Manager.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's what I use. Everyone says it works -- but me. I always have trouble with the drives with changed assignment letters.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only time I have heard of similar problems has been with USB drives, that sometimes appear to "forget" their assignment, this may have something to do with plugging a disk into a different USB port, bur that is just a guess.

Does yours behave properly if you ensure that each USB and Firewire disk is always plugged into the same port?

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Any time a USB or fire-wire device is pugged, Windows thinks it is a NEW device when replugged in and will be assigned the NEXT drive letter. If a external USB drive is shared. you will most likely lose the sharing and must be redefined.

That said, a built in USB memory card reader will be have differently. But I think you will find the it or they will grab the next drive letter after the hard drives and CD and DVD drives.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The drives take designations upon Windows install which I cannot estimate. Usually the second hard drive comes in a D:, but sometimes it is a higher letter. [That was after I had to disconnect one after writing "1"s to both drives and moving from RAID-0 to two independent SATA drives (250GB each), and then I had to reinstall with only the second drive connected, and then when I reinstalled with both drives connected, the second hard drive came in well down the alphabet chain.] The DVD and CD drives sometimes come in after the built-in USB drives, even though I disconnect the USB drives through the initial Windows re-installation (connecting them again for the Drivers CD usage). Each time I use the utility to move the drive designations, I lose some capability, in the USB and/or the DVD or CD drives.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I always move my CD and DVD drives to Y: and Z: as soon as I can, and definitely before I install any software from them. I copy my Windows installation kit to a folder on a hard disk before I start installing windows and then don't use the CD and DVD until after I have changed their drive letters. This saves a lot of these problems.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clever. Thanks.