5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FireFox and Outlook Express (FireFox 0.9.3)

I've just made FireFox my default browser. By reading some of the recent posts I was able to figure out how to stop the error message from coming up when I use a windows shortcut to link to an URL. which is great. I now have only one small quibble with changing over from Internet Explorer. Before, when in Outlook Express if I clicked on more than one link only one instance of Internet Explorer was launched. But now with FireFox for every link I click on in Outlook Express I get a new instance of FireFox starting. I don't suppose there is anyway I can get it so that only one instance of FireFox is opened?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FireFox and Outlook Express (FireFox 0.9.3)

This can be achieved by using Tabbrowser Extensions
    1. <LI>Install Tabbrowser Extensions
      <LI>Restart Fifefox to complete installation.
      <LI>Select "Tab>Tabbrowser Extensions Preferences..."
      <LI>Click "General" in the left pane
      <LI>Set "Windows Mode" to "Use multiple browsers only for my request"
    I find this to be one of the most useful extensions available and expands on the built in tabbed browsing options.

PS - The above is based on the latest version of the extension (version 1.11.2004082102), earlier versions had a different layout for the extension preferences (if memory serves you had to click on advanced rather than general to get to the Windows Mode option)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Tony,

Have you had any problems running this extension. I remember I tried FireFox a while ago (maybe version .8?) and tried this extension and had some trouble.. Can't remember what it was though.. The developer says it makes browsing less stable. What has been your experience with it?

Best wishes,

Chris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris,

I rarely have problems with Firefox. On the rare occasions that I have a problem I do not know if this extension or something else has caused it. If it is this extension that causes the problems then for me, as the problems occur infrequently, the advantages of the extension far outweigh the disadvantages.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have many extensions installed? Which ones have you found the most useful. Since resetting up my computer FireFox seems to be running smoothly., so I am tempted to add a few extensions, especially if I can get Outlook Express and FireFox working smoothly.

All the best,

Chris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris

The thread beginning with <post#=375253>post 375253</post#> may be of interest.
    Since that post Mozilla Update now lists many Firefox extensions, of those I use Googlebar, IE View and Sage. If you do not want to use Tabbrowser Extensions take a look at Single Window, a simple extension that traps links that usually open in a new window.

One extension you may want to look at is SpellBound - it allows spell checking in web forms.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Tony,

I have SpellBound. Lack of a spellchecker was the one thing that kept me from jumping to FireFox earlier. I'll have a good look at those other extensions. IE View sounds a must. I have a website I'm working on and it doesn't show up properly in FireFox at all. I need to fix the CSS stylesheet/. Being able to jump to Windows when needed will be useful.

Best wishes,

Chris