5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FireFox circumnavigating Sygate Personal Firewall

I have Sygate Personal Firewall Pro set so that it asks for permission before allowing any outbound traffic. I'm kind of used to the message boxes popping up when I check email or start surfing the Internet. I just made FireFox my default browser . I was having trouble when launching it from a shortcut as I would get a Windows Error message. So I went to File Folders and changed (switched off) the dde setting for URL Hypertext Transfer Protocol and URL Hypertext Transfer Protocol with Privacy. The error message went away, but now Sygate PFP is allowing FireFox outbound access without checking. This is disconcerting. Why is this happening? If I choose to block FireFox Sygate PFP will do so, but if I set it to Ask the firewall lets FireFox straight through. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

PS I'm using Windows XP Pro (SP1)

Edited: Just discovered that if I launch FireFox from the quicklaunch bar Sygate PFP does pop up to check if it is OK for FireFox to go online. But if I use a Windows Shortcut with an URL it doesn't.

Thanks

Re: FireFox circumnavigating Sygate Personal Firew

Does Sygate have a log of "allowed" connections? If so, what do the logs show, if anything, for launching Firefox by clicking a link? Here's a sample of my Outpost log. Is it any different from what you would see opening the browser first and navigating to that site??
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for replying. I can't find a log of allowed connections. There are Security, traffic, packet and system logs. I couldn't notice anything different being recorded about the different ways of launching the browser.. The behaviour is a little worrying. If Sygate is letting FireFox straight out what else might it let out?

Chris

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I use Fire Forx and it is allowed out by Sygate. There is a log under applications.
    Attached Images Attached Images