5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook and zipping of attachments (OL2003 SP1)

Having an issue sending attached files and cannot trace the source / application causing the problem.

If I attach any type of file less than 100KB in size, the message is sent intact with the attachment in its original format. If the attached file exceeds 100KB in size, some process is automatically, behind the scene, zipping the file and creating a unique file name. The unique file name is the original file name with <font color=blue>.zip</font color=blue> added. For example, attaching a 100kb file named <font color=red>testname.pdf</font color=red> becomes <font color=blue>testname.pdf.zip</font color=blue> when sent. If that same PDF was less than 100KB in size then the file is not zipped and is sent, and received as <font color=blue>testname.pdf</font color=blue>.

I have tested all types of files... jpg, txt, gif, pdf, doc, xls, exe to name a few, in sizes less than 100KB and greater than 100KB with the same results.

I am running MS Office 2003 Professional, WinZip 9.0 (paid version), Zone Alarm Pro (5.1.011.000) and Norton SystemWorks 2004. I have checked the help files for all those applications and cannot find anything that might be the culprit. Have used Google to surf the Internet for a possible link. Have searched the Lounge for any historical links. So, unless I am using the wrong search keys... this thing is a complete mystery.

Any Sherlock Holmes out there that can a shed a light on what might be causing the auto-zipping... and second, how can I modify or turn it off?

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook and zipping of attachments (OL2003 SP1

There are several add-ins that can automatically zip attachments. To try to track down what is doing this you can check to see what add-ins are installed.

Select "Tools>Options..." and go to the "Other" tab and click the "Advanced Options.." button. Then click the "Add-In Manager..." and "COM Add-Ins..." buttons to see what add-ins are installed. Hopefully this will indicate what is causing the attachments to be zipped.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Slipstick lists some of the tools that automatically compress attachments.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Tony, the culprit has been found... Quick View Plus. As evidenced from the attached, The COM Add-ins showed me my known add-ins which I already knew were there and didn't suspect them. However, the Add-In Manager, which I had not previously checked, did highlight the application causing the quirk.

I'll now fire up QVP and see what can be altered / disabled.

You have earned your Deerstalker!!!

Thanks again...
    Regards,
    Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tony,

As stated, the culprit has been found... Quick View Plus. I have shown the instructions from the QVP on-line help menu in case anyone has a similar problem and performs a search in The Lounge seeking a solution to a like "quirk".

[i]3.8.3 Automatically Compressing E-mail Attachments

Quick View Plus allows you to compress files when they are attached to e-mail messages in Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, and Lotus Notes (4.6.2 and later) clients. You can specify the minimum size of an attachment to compress from the Properties
    Regards,
    Bob