Thanks

Pop-ups and SP2 (XP Home SP2)

SP2 download worked fine for me. I already had a pop-up stopper installed by I have tried turning it off and using the new one that SP2 installs. It seems to work fine but I was amused to see that one of the first sites on which it blocked a pop-up was MSN Hotmail. It makes me wonder what the logic is of MS giving us a (very welcome) facility to block pop-ups when they use them on one of their own sites!

Just an observation!

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pop-ups and SP2 (XP Home SP2)

One of the unfortunate things about popups is that there are many that are not an "annoyance" per se and are somewhat necessary to operation. I'm not familiar with Hotmail, so I don't know of what you speak, but for the legitimate popups that are hither and yon, I don't use any popup control except the ability of Mozilla to let me specify which SITES I want to block them from. It's a bittersweet problem, to be sure.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pop-ups and SP2 (XP Home SP2)

I use Avant Browser with the feed filtered first through Proxomitron, and over time I've managed to virtually eliminate all unwanted popups -- using a strategy of 'block them all' and either whitelisting the ones that I feel are necessary or temporarily bypassing Prox toview the site unfiltered. Then along comes the new IE blocker. Its blocker would kill popups that were allowed through the first two defenses, often killing popups that I wanted to receive. IE's security would display a notice about a 'yellow line' that should have appeared below the address bar but didn't (as I was only using the IE engine and not the actual IE browser).

Given this, my observation is that if you already have a good popup blocking system in place, disable IE's and avoid the hassle of having to train two systems instead of just one. If you are willing to forego any other popup protections then I believe IE's system should be quite adequate.