New Lounger
    Thanks

Bullets and Numbering don't 'stick (XP/SP 2)

Hello everyone. I am having trouble making an outline numbered document--1.0, 1.1, 1.1.1, etc. start at a number other than one, and make it stay that way. Whenever I re-open the document, it reverts back to one. The Heading styles in the document are auto-numbered, but I don't want to make a change to the style, since it appears to affect all other documents with the same style. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sims

Thanks

Re: Bullets and Numbering don't 'stick (XP/SP 2)

I don't use this feature enough to help you with the specifics, but I do have a comment on the question of styles. Generally speaking, as soon as you create a document, the style definitions are copied into it from its attached template (either Normal.dot, for blank documents, or a custom template). After that point, you can alter the document's style definitions with no effect on the source template or any other document based on the source template, UNLESS you specifically tick the "Add to template" box in the Modify styles dialog.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Bullets and Numbering don't 'stick (XP/SP 2)

This is most likely to be because your document is set to update the styles from the template when opening. Make sure that Tools > Templates and Addins is not set to "Automatically Update Document Styles"

I wouldn't suggest modifying the template to start at anything other than 1.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia