Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disable Autopreview (Outlook 2002 SP3)

Is there a way to disable Autopreview permanently? I have unchecked it repeatedly but Microsoft keeps turning it back on.

Thanks

Re: Disable Autopreview (Outlook 2002 SP3)

Is this the Preview Pane that appears below the list of messages, or the AutoPreview that shows the first few lines of the message?

If you define your own views, you can make sure that these features are turned off in your views. However, Outlook sometimes loses views or they become corrupted, so that isn't necessarily a complete solution. Also, there are certain keystrokes I sometimes accidentally press that cause these two previews to appear. Unfortunately, Outlook does not provide very good control over keyboard customization. I think in-product options are limited.

The Office Resource Kit contains a section on administrator options for "locking down" Outlook and other office applications. (See System Policy Editor and Templates.) However, I installed the Policy Editor and did not see an option to block the Preview Pane. There still might be a Registry hack, but a quick search in Google did not turn one up. Hmmm...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson

It's the Autopreview that shows the first three lines.
    I hadn't tried to create my own view, but when I did, I noticed that there was a view called Messages with Autopreview in the list. When I clicked on modify, I found a SQL statement: "DAV:isfolder" = false AND "DAV:ishidden" = false. I don't know what that means. Does the AV part of DAV have anything to do with auto view?

Thanks

I think you're way beyond my experience with customizing views. I've never even noticed those SQL statements under Filter... settings. I suspect, though, that they have nothing to do with AutoPreview, which is toggled on the Other Settings... dialog.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm hardly beyond your experience! The only reason I noticed the SQL tab is because I was clicking through all of them, looking for something about Autopreview.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information. I didn't notice the option in Other Settings. I have now modified all views to no auto preview.