Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Startup & Multiple Problems

I'm trying to help a lady with her ME computer. The initial problem was that she couldn't change screen resolution from the lowest that showed up on booting. Tried changing to higher resolution and rebooting, but the change never took. Suspecting a virus we next uninstalled McAfee and installed a new Norton AV starting with a sysem scan from the CD which found no virus'. However I noticed that a McAfee file remained in the Startup area of MSCONFIG, and Norton would never run (click on Start, Norton AV and nothing happens). Next we restored to an older restore point. Now the screen resolution works, but we get a message that the AV files are corrupt and need to reinstall. Tried to uninstall McAfee, but it won't!

I'm at my wits end on this one. Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Startup & Multiple Problems

Is it true that after the restore, the "AV" in question is McAfee? Back when I was a user, every time I upgraded versions or got that kind of "corrupt" message (and I did get it) I would first uninstall McAfee via Add/Remove in Control Panel. But THEN, I had to use Regedit to look for any keys with "McAfee" or "Network Associates" and delete them too. Lastly, I would open Windows Explorer and look for any folders with those names to get rid of stuff that McAfee ALWAYS left behind. Having done all that, you'll have to decide if you really want to re-install McAfee or Norton or find another AV program. BTW I never, ever let McAfee install any of its peripheral "programs" so you may have to modify the housecleaning if the machine has other stuff like Safe and Sound or McAfee firewall, etc. installed. For what it's worth, I'm on "only" my second year with Trend Micro's PC-Cillin and haven't had a single problem.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I've now downloaded the complete set of instructions from the McAfee site for uninstalling their AV software -- all 2 1/2 pages of it! So I'll give that a try. You are right in that McAfee tucks bits and pieces all over the registry and elsewhere. What a mess!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Manually uninstalling McAfee seemed to work OK, but Norton still wouldn't start even after uninstalling and reinstalling. My friend is now upgrading to XP and will try installing Norton AV. We'll see if that works.