Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding blank lines to a report (2003 SP1)

I tried to search the archives and found information on removing blank lines but I need to add blank lines to a report. If there isn

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding blank lines to a report (2003 SP1)

Hans
    Thanks so much for the quick response!

I'm going to attempt the kb article recommendation but I don't know if it will do exactly what I want (or if I am capable....). It says if my lines are greater than the number I code then no more lines will print. I will need to print and additional data even if it exceeds 3 lines. I'm thinking I will need some kind of IF statement but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know what the result will be.

As for the line numbering, it will start over for each group. For example: I have no data for the first group so I need to print 3 blank lines, numbered 1-2-3. I have 2 items in the second group so I need to print 1 and 2 and 1 blank line numbered 3. I have 5 items in the third group so I need to print all 5 lines. The line numbering is not critical so if it's easier to leave it out then so be it.

Hopefully that is enough information. I want to provide all the information you need to help me, but I don't want to clutter up my question/reply with information that won't help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Getting the three lines (per record? per group?) shouldn't be difficult. Depending on the design of the report you may be able to get them by setting the correct height and setting Can Grow and Can Shrink to No. And MSKB article ACC2000: How to Print a Constant Number of Lines Per Group may help. But I'm not sure about the numbering. Perhaps you could explain in more detail what you want to accomplish (should the numbering continue, or restart somewhere, or ...)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Thank you a million times.
    You are my hero!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have attached an example based on the MSKB article, using the Categories and Products tables from the Northwind database, with a minimum number of 7 lines per group; if there are more records, they will be displayed. The lines are numbered.

ADDED LATER: Attachment replaced, since the original version contained an error.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Deb,

The attachment I posted contained an error - in some situations, a record was displayed twice. I have replaced the attachment by one that hopefully is correct.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Thanks again for your help
    The problem I'm having now is that since my subform records relate to my main form records via an ID - if I don't have any detail records for the blanks it won't print the blanks. Is there a way to load my query with a record from each group so all 4 will print? (I hope that question makes sense...)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Deb,

This requires a bit of smoke and mirrors. You can create a query to return the main records that have no subrecords, then create a union query (this can only be done in SQL view) to combine the main records with and without subrecords. This query can be used as record source for the report. See modified version attached (I removed all products for the Dairy Products category to demonstrate the effect.)
    Attached Files Attached Files