Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SP2 and Loss of Sound (SP2)

Having installed SP2 from the "Network Installation Package" I now note I've lost all speaker sound (CD, internet, DVD, leaving windows). I did go throught the New Windows Media Wizard, basically taking the defaults. I also tried sound with Real Audio: nothing. Any thoughts. I'll be gone for a week, so I won't be able to answer follow-up questions till then. Could this possibly be due to SP2. What do you think of trying a restore point to undo SP2? (I think all the wires are OK).

kdoc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SP2 and Loss of Sound (SP2)

Hi: I wrote this post about 10 days ago, hoping someone would have an answer when I returned from a meeting. Nothing turned up. Is there any possibility that installation of SP 2 could have corrupted my sound: I get no online, CD or DVD sound? Any suggestions?

kdoc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How about checking Device Manager (the top part of my attachment) to make sure you have no warning marks. Then, in Control Panel, Sounds, check to make sure nothing has accidently gotten muted, including the Advanced button.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yo bigaldoc: You nailed it. The Volume was turned all the way down under control panel. Can you tell me one other thing. The volume control has disappeared from my task bar, and when I check on that same Control Panel Sounds to put it on the task bar, it says it isn't installed, and that I should do so with Add Remove Programs. Just how do I get to that installation undar add-remove. I assume it's under the Windows components part, but just where, I don't know.

Anyway many thanks

kdoc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't know either - I thought it was always there. I looked all through Windows Components and don't see it. Maybe someone else will know.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Let's hope someone knows: It WAS always there, until SP2 and Windows Media Player upgrade install!!

kdoc

Thanks

To add the volume icon to the taskbar
    Open Sounds and Audio Devices.
    On the Volume tab, under Device volume, select the Place volume icon in the taskbar check box, click Apply, and then click OK.
    Right-click the taskbar, and then click Properties.
    On the Taskbar tab, under Notification area, select the Hide inactive icons check box.
    Click Customize.
    In the Name column, click Volume, in the Behavior column, click Always show, and then click OK.
    On the Taskbar tab, click Apply.
    Note

To open Sounds and Audio Devices, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.

This doesn't do it for you???
    If not, I would uninstall the sound card and reinstall it after reboot.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks: I've done all of that. I've selected "Always Show." I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the sound (had to uninstall and reinstall Dell Resource Center to do that): Now I've still got sound, but no icon on the task bar. Can you or anyone make other suggestions, or tell me where I can access the same thing, but not from the task bar. I can't find it anywhere, and suppose it actually isn't installed. May be a bug in the SP 2 update?? Suggestions.

kdoc

kdoc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Now don't go panic about SP2 and start uninstalling like some folks have. I don't think SP2 has anything to do with the problem, per se. I've got two machines with SP2 and they both have (at my doing) the volume control in the tray. There has to be some other setting in yours that's not right. When you told Bob you've "done all that," did you mean that when you look at Taskbar Properties, you can see the volume icon in there but can't make it show?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes: Under Task Bar--Properties--Customize--"Volume" is seen as a past item, and I've changed it, as suggested, to "Always Show." I've also tried, "Hide when Inactive," and have tried to uncheck "Hide Inactive Icons."

I might mention one other thing: To update the driver (SoundMax Digital Audio), I had to uninstall under Add Remove Programs something called "Dell Resource CD." (Presumably the original CD which comes with the computer is outdated, so it's updated online by this method. Also, there are several other device drivers under Sound Audio, such as Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device (which allows an uninstall), and Media Control Devices (which doesn't), and I didn't touch these.

P.S. Am not yet paniced [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

kdoc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, solved it. When I went into the Control Panel--Sound Audio Devices--Audio Tab--Folume Button--it said that SndVol32.exe was not there. I then found that file in the XP Installation CD, and expanded/installed it.

Should I or you post this information under anther Subject title, such as "Loss of Volume Icon"?

Thank you (all) for your help. I might mention, that Dell is currently telling their customers not to install SP2 because of the numerous bugs they're experiencing, and asking them to do a system restore or Recovery Consule if they can't get things working. (I resisted this suggestion.)

kdoc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...Should I or you post this information under anther Subject title... <hr>
    I think not. You appropriately put the question in the XP forum. Glad you found the problem. It's confounding how such a thing could happen. I also wonder about Dell's giving such broadbrush advice to their customers, unless they know something NEGATIVE about their machines...

Thanks

---------------------------
    unless they know something NEGATIVE about their machines...
    ----------------------------
    There's probably more to that statement, than saying there is a bunch of bugs in SP2.
    Good ole' Dell. Their hardware isn't bad but their customized software......Well, I think if I had a Dell, I would go but a new copy of XP, format the HD and install it all new. Of course, then they say it violates their warrantee and don't talk to us anymore.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And good luck in getting current drivers for the hardware.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Does Dell's warranty say you can't format the hard drive and install a retail or volume licensed copy of XP Pro? (Not saying we do that, just a hypothetical question.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast