Thanks

Windows Update v5 & Norton Personal Firewall (XP SP-1)

I just visited the Windows Update site and it upgraded me to v.5 of Windows Update. I never had any problems with earlier versions of Windows Update, but now I receive error no. 0x80072EFD ("cannot display the requested page") when Windows Update tries to scan my PC for available updates. I've tried all of Microsoft's suggested troubleshooting steps, to no avail. The only solution that "works" is turning off Norton Personal Firewall 2003. Needless to say, this is not an acceptable solution. I've fiddled with NPF's options settings to ensure that the following sites are set to permit scripts, Java applets and ActiveX controls:

download.windowsupdate.com
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

But that hasn't solved the problem. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there an NPF setting (short of turning NPF off) that solves it?

Thanks

Re: Windows Update v5 & Norton Personal Firewall (

While I hate to punt, I think you should complain to Symantec. There are so many Norton users that I suspect they will get quite a few of these and issue some sort of information or patch for it.

Does NPF log denied inbound/outbound connections and list blocked applications? You could check there, too, in case it's not something that can be resolved by listing trusted host names.

Thanks

Re: Windows Update v5 & Norton Personal Firewall (XP SP-1)

Following up on my own post, I finally found a solution that works. It involves tweaking the program access for Microsoft Generic Host Process for Win32 Services and it's described here:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=XarYc...e1-gui.ntli.net.