2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

AVG IN XP (2001 SP1)

I have been using AVG as my virus protection, and Zone Alarm for firewall protection for some time. Other than minor update problems with the AVG site (grisoft) a while back, both have been very reliable and are up-to-date and both have saved me untold grief. However, I recently upgraded my computer to a P4 2.66, and my OS from 98SE to XP 2001 build (firewall is disabled, and have not received the second service pack yet). When I move the mouse to reactivate the screen when it has been idle and in screensaver mode, the following appears, exactly as is typed, in a dialogue box:

AVG Resident Shield

Virus
    Trojan horse IRC/BackDoor.SdBot.37.E

is found in file
    C:System Volume Information_restore{8A28AC57-4B98-41E6-B143-6D1C2A723F83}RP14A0003641.exe

To remove this virus, please run AVG for Windows

[OK]

The messages reappears up to four times after clicking [OK]. I of course run scans. Sometimes do not detect the virus at all. At other times the virus is detected by but only quarantined, not deleted. After this, the dialogue box still comes up after the screen is reactivated from the screen saver, even if a full system virus scan is negative.

They reckon unprotected computers can become infected in about 20 minutes on line these days. I dare say that is what happended after installing the exe versions of AVG and ZA and waiting for them to update. Just my luck. I have searched for this

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: AVG IN XP (2001 SP1)

The location you mention is in the information saved by System Restore. You can delete all the restore points by turning off system restore (right click MY Computer, select Properties | System Restore, check the "turn off system restore for all drives"), re-boot, then turn it back on. You only need system restore for the drive/partition upon which WindowsXP is installed. You may want to adjust the size that system restore may use. The default is horribly large. Depending on your system and the size of your HD you may want it to use only 1 or 2 percent.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

As an alternative to clearing all your restore points, you could try to delete (Shift+Delete) just that file. If the system restore folder is not visible in Windows Explorer, turn on viewing of hidden files under Tools>Folder Options...>View.

Administrator
    Thanks

With XP Pro you have to take other action as the 'System Volume Information' folder is only accessible by the 'System' user. You must allow your userid permission. Not sure how that is done with XP Home.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

How to Gain Access to the System Volume Information Folder

To delete all restore files in System Volume Information folder, turn off System Restore (press Windows and Pause/Break keys, on System Properties window click System Restore tab, check "Turn off System Restore..." checkbox and click Apply button). Then you can turn it on once again unchecking the check box and clicking Apply, OK.

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks for the KB article.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the tips so far folks, will give them a go and report back.
    Willow

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe - got it in one. (I guess my next question will come down the track...how do I use this restore feature when my system falls down. Not for now though, I will cross that delightful little problem when I come to it- sometimes ignorance is bliss)

Thanks again to all
    willow