2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Win XP to replace Win 98 SE (Win XP)

I'm planning to install Win XP to replace my current Win 98 SE on my Dell Dimension XPS T-600 which has a PIII processor (I believe 600 MHz), 640 MB RAM, a 13 GB hard drive set up as a master unit (used for the OS) and a 80 GB HD set up as a slave which is partitioned into four logical drives.

Any suggestions or caveats would be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly concerned about any known issues with Norton SystemWorks 2004 & Norton Internet Security 2004, as well as Quicken 2004, Ad-Aware, Ad-Watch, Spybot SD, and Office 97/Outlook 98.

Will I need to do anything with the data files on the slave drive (other than backing them up)? Does Win XP use the FAT 32 file system (which I'm using now in Win 98 SE) or another system?

I'm looking forward to hearing from this learned group. I've always been able to rely on the Lounge to answer my questions and help me out of a computer jam.

Thanks

Re: Installing Win XP to replace Win 98 SE (Win XP)

Steve,
    First and foremost, hopefully you are planning to do a clean install of XP rather than un upgrade of 98. Obviously you will have to reinstall all of your program files but you will probably run into fewer problems in the long term. I'm not aware of any "known" issues with the applications you have listed. XP can use either the FAT or the NTSF file system - your choice when installing. If you choose NTFS, then you will probably want to back up your data files and reformat the second drive as NTFS as well. My choice would be NTSF, but if you choose FAT, then nothing has to be done to the second drive containing your data files. The XP installation won't touch these.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 27-Aug-04 06:24. )</P>In addition to seconding John's recommendation about NTFS, there are several things I'd strongly recommend.
    1.) Make sure your hardware is compatible with XP.
    2.) Make sure you have XP drivers already downloaded and on a CD before you start the install.
    3.) Install SP-2 immediately after the base XP. Even better would be if you had access to a slipstreamed SP-2.
    4.) Get the most current versions of Ad-aware & Spybot.
    5.) Check the Symantec and Intuit sites for SP-2 compatibility information.
    6.) Check out Office 2003 Student and teachers edititon at a local retailer. For a relatively modest (usually $129 USD on sale) amount you can get a big step up in stability and usability.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a word of warning if you should install the Academic Editions. While they should perhaps be more appropriately called the "Learning" editions since they are generally available for anyone trying to learn to use the software, they also have a different licensing agreement from the non-AE editions and are not eligible for upgrades and are not intended for use in a general business environment. When a new version comes out, you have to buy a new version, and they have some limitations on legal use.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Thank you" to those who answered my request for info. Your information was most helpful.

BTW, just for my general knowledge, what would happen if I tried to do a clean install with an upgrade version of Windows XP (the box is labeled "Upgrade"). A friend has offered to let me buy the product they recently bought but did not use. The literature with it reads like you can use it to perform a clean install or install over an existing installation.

Thanks again,

-Steve-

Thanks

The upgrade copy will work, whether for a clean install or an upgrade. Early in the installation, you will have the option of performing the upgrade or reformatting and performing a clean install.
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

SDG: How did you go? I'm not trying to argue with "Rebel" but I was told something different, ie, you could NOT do a clean install from an update XP disc (ie, you would have to have some sort of underlying Windows component, eg, Win98)
    Did you manage a clean install from an upgrade disc?
    Rebel - would it be a clean (ie formatted) upgrade or just an over the top install?
    (I'm not here for a fight boys and girls, just confused...which is me all over in IT world really...but I guess I'm not alone)

Thanks

Re: Installing Win XP to replace Win 98 SE (Win XP

You CAN do EITHER an upgrade (over an existing installation) OR a clean install (ie. format & start from scratch). With the Upgrade Version, you DO have to have proof of a previous version of Windows. If you have an existing installation, the WinXP install will find your previous version and you can then choose to upgrade the existing installation or perform a clean install. If however, you have formatted the disk prior to installing WinXP (or if you are installing to a new disk), you will receive a message that no previous version was found. In this case, you simply remove the WinXP disk, pop in the disk for your previous version, let the installation verify it, and then proceed.
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Installing Win XP to replace Win 98 SE (Win XP

Ahhh! Copy that, thanks John - it's all coming together now & fits in nicely with the advice Leif had given me (I thought I was getting mixed messages, but it was yet another example of operator error..mine :| )
    You will be pleased to know, all you efforts have not been in vain - you've saved me about $250AUD as I'll be off tomorrow to by an upgrade to XP rather than the full install. All you have to do is call past the A.C.T. and I'll shout the beers to reward the advice given from Woody's. Bonza mate!