New Lounger
    Thanks

XP SP2 crashed my system (XP SP2)

After downloading and installing XP SP2 this morning, I rebooted as instructed. Started having internet connection problems as well as other odd problems so I rebooted a second time and my computer no longer recognized my hard drive. Couldn't even run Automated System Recovery to uninstall SP2. Anyone else have this problem? Be very sure that you have a complete system backup before installing XP SP2.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP SP2 crashed my system (XP SP2)

"My computer no longer recognized my hard drive"

Boot to BIOS. Does BIOS recognizes your hard drive properly? Does it recognizes your CD drive? Are your CD and hard drive in boot order list? If not, check all physical connectors in your computer. It is strongly recommended to clean your computer chasis from the dust. Visit your motherboard vendor's website and check for BIOS upgrade.

"Couldn't even run Automated System Recovery"

Insert your Windows XP Installation CD and reboot your computer. If you will see the message "Boot computer from CD", press Enter (you have 5 seconds to do so). From installation options, choose "Repair installation".

New Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb, Thanks for your response. However, I had already tried all of those and had no luck. It recognized my hard drive but saw it as unpartitioned. Was able to boot from XP CD to run "Repair Installation" but that did nothing. It brought up the "Automated System Recovery" at the DOS command but just said to type "EXIT" which I did and it would just reboot. Once rebooted, it still found no operating system installed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Boot from CD. Choose "Install Windows XP". Does it recognize your previous installation? Or does it see your hard drive as unpartitioned? If so, your installation is probably gone and you need to install everything once again from scratches.

Thanks

Just ran across this article . It may apply to your situation.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions