Lounger
    Thanks

Cleaning Keyboards

Has anybody got any tips for cleaning keyboards? (Non-laptops, nothing spilled.... just dirty.) It seems that no matter how careful you are eventually they do show dirt and grime. I'd love to throw it the dishwasher but know better. Is there a dry powder cleaner available or ????
    I disassembled one once to clean it but found that was more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for any advice.
    Bill, San Diego CA

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cleaning Keyboards

Would it be more cost-effective to buy a new one and chuck the old one out?

Are you just talking about the key surfaces and that of the front surface of the surrounding plastic? In which case a lint-free cloth (as they say) plus some mild general cleaning liquid would do it, provided you have the patience to rub the keys gently but firmly. (Doing it upside down would minimise the possibility of getting liquid in the contacts).

Every so often I turn my work keyboards upside down and thump them enthusiastically abovce the waste bin, to remove crumbs, dead insects, and other detritus -- but I suppose a can of pressurised air would be better. But then we have more keyboards than we know what to do with...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

>>> I'd love to throw it the dishwasher but know better...

Well, there's some who might claim that they know better... <post#=21904>post 21904</post#>

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply, John. Replacing them is an option but I'm actually talking about three of them and they're all the Microsoft boards with the USB ports and "bells and whistle" extra keys, etc. Could add up to a few $$$. If I can muster up enough patience I could clean them manually as you suggested but after reading the posts that Leif linked me to, maybe the dishwasher thing may not be so far out. Am going to try it with one of my spares. I'll just use the "short wash and rinse" option and one thing that wasn't mentioned on the posts...... I won't let it go through the heated "dry" cycle. Ho! Ho! I'll let it dry naturally for a few days and turn it over a few times during that time. Thanks again.
    Bill

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif. Some interesting and some funny posts. I am going to try the dishwasher. (See my reply to JohnGray.)
    Bill

Thanks

I would keep the connector dry if possible - a few layers of food wrap (what we call cling-film) wound tightly round it and extending 5-6" up the cable should do.
    Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Using a dishwasher seems to me to be a good "don't try this at home, kids" example....

If the dishwasher doesn't work, are we then looking at the washing machine and the tumble-dryer?

Or perhaps the carwash? Or the high pressure hose used for cleaning the stonework on patios?

After all, we're only talking about needing to clean the top surface of the keyboard and the keycaps, are we not?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Sorry, but I don't follow the logic of your argument.

The inherent problem with using a dishwasher is not that it won't get the keyboard clean, but that it may cause internal damage. I don't know about your keyboards, but on mine there is as much grunge beneath the caps as is on them. I guess it depends on how clean is clean - to get them back to as-good-as-new would mean taking all the caps off as a minimum.

As a method that appears to have a certain amount of success, the dishwasher route would seem a lot more cost effective - not to mention ecological - than "to buy a new one and chuck the old one out".