New Lounger
    Thanks

XP2 - Where's my disk space gone? (Win XP SP2)

Installed XP SP2 on my lap top and have "lost" 1.3 Gb of disk space. Unable to find out where ... or even understand where!

Any suggestions / comments for how to reclaim my disk space?

Many thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP2 - Where's my disk space gone? (Win XP SP2)

How do you know that you've lost 1.3 GB of disk space? What's the capacity of your hard disk?

The initial action should be to "name the guilty party". At first guess, I would say that it is space used by the System Volume Information folder/directory, which holds data for (probably many) System Restore Points. If you can't see this in the left-hand pane of Windows Explorer, you will need to make it visible by clicking on Tools => Folder Options => View, and turning ON the option "Show hidden files and folders" and turning OFF the option "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)", accepting the Awful Warning message. Then you can right-click on System Volume Information, and select properties, to be amazed by how much disk space it takes!

If this does not (fully) explain the missing space, I would download the free-but-old TreeSize, or a 30-day evaluation copy of the more feature-rich TreeSize Pro. Install whichever, and get it to enumerate the directories of your C: drive. Sort in size order by clicking on the 1/9/down arrow button. You can drill down to find more detail where required.

Having found where the data has escaped to, you can then decide if you can retrieve some of the previously-free space!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

SP2 makes a "Uninstall" file which is used to remove SP2 and go back to the system configueation before the install of SP2. This could count for your LOST disk space.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that. Before SP2 install I had 1.7 Gb ... now I have 0.4 Gb ... hence 1.3 Gb has gone somewhere.

System Volume Information directory is currently 302 Mb

But ... the Windows folder is now an amazing 3.28 Gb ... which is where (apparently) my disk space has gone. Curiously, this is an XP Home installation. The equivalent directory on my XP Pro system is a "mere" 2.96 Gb.

The $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder is over 400 Mb ... can that be deleted? Still leaves a "lost" 900 Mb though!

Regards

New Lounger
    Thanks

Other "interesting" files and folders that have appeared:

WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownload9ded4ee34a35fce d0033d3e152a36e0e --- this is 404 Mb
    WINDOWSServicePackFiles --- this is 446 Mb plus the previously mentioned:
    WINDOWS$NtServicePackUninstall$ at 420 Mb.

Can all these be deleted?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownload9ded4ee34a35fce d0033d3e152a36e0e used to hold SP2 download. Can be deleted.
    WINDOWSServicePackFiles - leave this alone. It will be used by scannow and if you change windows components
    WINDOWS$NtServicePackUninstall$ - used to uninstall SP-2 and restore pre-SP2 system components. Once you are satisified with SP2 operation it can be deleted. NOTE: Once you delete this the only way to revert to pre-SP2 is to reinstall XP from scratch.

Joe
    Joe