3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP and mapped drive problem... (XP/SP1)

I have a user who is running XP SP1. I'll check on updates he may need shortly. In the mean time I was wonder if you guys could give me some suggestions. We're on a Windows 2000 AD domain/network. I have a user that is running XP. When the user logs in a script runs that maps some drives to network resources. All the drives are mapped and good to go for a week or two and than suddenly one of the drives disconnects. There is no indication that it has disconnected. He tries to go to the mapped drive and finds that it is missing. It is the same mapped drive every time. This user turns off his PC almost daily so it doesn't appear to be something like the PC was on too long and needed rebooting. I searched MS KB and found nothing. Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: XP and mapped drive problem... (XP/SP1)

Is this mapped network drive on a machine that is being re-booted? Or having its network connection disabled & re-enabled?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, that's a good question. I want to say no. It is mapping to our company file server which hasn't been rebooted in months.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

See this KB article on Autodisconnect How Autodisconnect Works in Windows NT and Windows 2000.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been gone for the last few days. That is an interesting KB article. I will move to that if what I've done doesn't work. I've disconnected the drive that is mapped via login script (.bat file) and have mapped it manually from the command prompt using the persistent switch. Now we have to wait and see if the problem happens again...