New Lounger
    Thanks

XP SP2 Problems (XP SP2)

I installed SP-2 on August 26th; the installation was successful but my PC slowed to a crawl. I use NIS 2004 for firewall & antivirus; both functioned after SP2 installation. I immediately turned off the "enhanced" Windows firewall. Still, SP2 automatically increased the size of my page file from 382Mb to over 900Mb and demanded more. (My processor is a Pentium 4 1.5Gb unit.)

SP2 also installed Windows Messenger without asking. I removed it quickly.

When I uninstalled SP2, my former system was restored. However, Windows XP SP1a no longer shows as a downloaded component.

What gives? Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Thanks

Re: XP SP2 Problems (XP SP2)

1) "my PC slowed to a crawl". Did everything slow down or just the boot time? I noticed that my boot time increased significantly, but after that, there was no noticeable difference. I also disabled the Windows firewall (using Sygate). The increased boot time may be due to a few additional processes that start with SP2. I think (not absolutely sure) that the OS is also looking for the (Windows) firewall.
    2) "SP2 automatically increased the size of my page file from 382Mb to over 900Mb and demanded more". Did it increase the Initial size or the maximum size? Do you have it set for a Custom size or a System Managed size? How did it " <font color=blue>demand more</font color=blue> "?
    3) "SP2 also installed Windows Messenger without asking". Windows Messenger is a default when the OS installs. When you updated with SP2, it was automatically included. No update such as this will ask you what you do and don't want installed.
    4) "Windows XP SP1a no longer shows as a downloaded component". I assume you are referring to the list in "Add/Remove Programs". Not sure what causes this, but if you decide to leave your system as is, i.e. without SP2 (NOT RECOMMENDED), go to the Windows Update site, remove SP2 from the list of updates, and download and install any of the others.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, John,

1) The initial boot time was very slow, but I figured that Windows was reconfiguring itself to accommodate SP2. I did not reboot with SP2 installed; I uninstalled it first. I noticed that system performance whilst undertaking two very minor tasks was exceptionally slow. In fact, part of one task would chunk through before Windows allowed part of the other task to run. (I was browsing a Website as I printed a simple 250Kb Word document.) I had disabled the "new" Windows firewall in favor of the firewall in Norton Internet Security 2004 (a much better product). I also feel that Windows nevertheless tries to use the SP2 firewall, and this (if it happens) will probably slow things down.

2) SP2 took virtual memory with the page file set at 382Mb (minimum) and 768 (maximum), and increased it to over 900Mb. I had left that configuration at the Windows install default, not at "System managed size" setting. SP2 automatically increased the virtual memory/paging file and displayed an alert message stating that it was increasing it even more (that's what I meant by writing that it "demanded more.") I must say that XP has never had a problem with the installation settings as originally set.

3) I uninstalled Windows Messenger from the time I set up this machine. No other Windows update, not even SP1a, reinstalled it. I still think it almost criminal for MS to install components such as this--that have NOTHING to do with security or operating system performance--without advising the consumer. It is simply arrogant.

4) SP1a no longer shows in the "Add/Remove Programs" list of installed components. I don't care whether leaving my PC without SP2 is not recommended or not; I will never reinstall that piece of ___. I went to the Windows Update site, but did not find a selectable list of updates from which I can remove SP2. Perhaps such a list will appear if I reinitialize my hard drive, reinstall XP, and then go to the Windows Update site to retrieve downloads. What concerns me is that I may only be offered the opportunity to download and install SP2, and I will not do that again. (MS changed the format for the Update site and the update install software; everything is different now).

I don't wish to rant or vent, but...how is any of this "trustworthy?" (rhetorical question only)

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Thanks

Hi Don,

1) Yes, Windows was reconfiguring itself - the initial boot time after SP2 in installed is significantly longer than normal.
    2) You disabled the Windows firewall which I have also done, but I have seen no evidence that "Windows nevertheless tries to use the SP2 firewall". I'm not sure whether a reboot is required to make this stick or not, but is it possible that the "slow" performance may have been due to both firewalls competing?
    3) Your initial virtual memory settings were min. 382 and max. 768. Does this mean that you have 256K memory installed? The minimum recommended swap file size is 1.5 times the amount of physical memory installed.
    4) "System managed size" may be the new SP2 term for the Windows default settings (let Windows manage the page file size)
    5) 900Mb - minimum or maximum? This <font color=blue>may</font color=blue> have something to do with NIS - see <!mskb=811153>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 811153<!/mskb>.
    6) Windows Messenger does integrate with Outlook Express and Outlook. If you are using either one of these and the Messenger files had been removed, then I assume that SP2 simply reinstalled them. You certainly have the option to remove them again.
    7) SP1 no longer shows in the Add/Remove Program list. SP2 incorporates ALL of the fixes to date (including SP1). Uninstalling SP2 is supposed to roll back the system to the state that it was in prior to its installation. According to MS however, "If you choose not to archive files when you install Windows XP SP1, Windows XP SP1 is not listed in Add or Remove Programs and therefore you cannot remove it. <font color=blue>Also, if you install updates to Microsoft Internet Explorer after you install Windows XP SP1, Windows XP SP1 may not be listed in Add or Remove Programs</font color=blue> ." I would assume the same would be true if you had archived files when you installed SP1 and then later deleted them.
    8) The Windows Update Site may not yet have SP2 as an update (MS is pushing the auto update). If it does have SP2 as a required update, simply remove it from the list of updates that are required and then get any others that you may need. If no updates are recommended, then you are up to date (except for SP2)

SP 2 is a massive update (in excess of 600 "fixes"), and there are bound to be a few glitches. I am not promoting or flag waving for MS Don, but did you really give this update a fair trial? You said that you uninstalled it even prior to a reboot after it was installed. In any event. that is your decision. I suspect however, that (as in the case of SP1) any future updates and fixes (and there are bound to be many) will require that SP2 be installed. That is probably one thing worth considering before you make the decision that " I will never reinstall that piece of ___ . "
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions