2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Name in Blue Color (XP)

Recently, I found that when I open my Windows Explorer to view files listings (in detail list view), some files names are in blue color. Can someone tell me why certain file names and attributes are in blue ?

Thanks

Re: File Name in Blue Color (XP)

Sounds like you are displaying 'Hidden files and folders' - you can toggle in in Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options as below

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This can signify that the file has been compressed. To see if that is the case right click on one of the files and select properties. On the general tab click the advanced button to see if the file is compressed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

This can signify that the file is either compressed or encrypted, if you have set this option in Windows Explorer Folder Options. For more info see MSKB 320166:

HOW TO: Identify Encrypted Files in Windows XP

The article explains how to turn this option on or off. See attached pic of the Folder Options dialog (View tab) for example of where option to display these files in color is turned on. As previously noted, if not using the "color coding" option, you can determine if file is compressed or encrypted by viewing Advanced File Properties dialog.

HTH