Thread: Spam ware

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spam ware

I'll post this in "Software Finds and Wants" first, the alternative would have been IE. Oh well, here goes.
    Is there a way to automatically spell check the subject line of incoming e-mail, and, move those e-mails
    with mis-spelled words into a common folder ?

Thanks

Re: Spam ware

I don't think you will find anything that exclusively checks the subject line - most spam-checkers will/should look at both the subject and the body and check them against a set of rules. I suspect it would take a pretty big dictionary - and then there will always be correctly spelt words in the subject line of an email that would be better going straight into your deleted folder....

What email client are you using?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using Mozilla Firefox (fre version) with a Yahoo e-mail account.
    I still get a lot of ** Spam post - please alert a Moderator **/** Spam post - please alert a Moderator ** enlargment/breast enlargement/software enlargement (sorry, I couldn't resist)
    unsolicited e-mails, with usually an intentianal mispelling in the subject line to get around the "rules" I've
    set up. You know, V I A G R A or V1AGRA (one not I) or PEEEENIS or S0FTWARE (0 not O) etc. The standard
    dictionary in Word/Wordperfect/Wordstar etc. normally has these.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I can give you about 27 different variants on the word "** Spam post - please alert a Moderator **" from the spam messages that SpamBayes filters out for me. There could be another hundred or so before I take redundancy! Rule-based filtering methods for words will NEVER keep pace with spam-generators "inventiveness".

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One rule you can set up is to move all emails without your address in To or cc to Trash. Then you'll have to make rules for each newsletter that you get, so that they go into your inbox. This will reduce the spam in your inbox considerably. Just check your trash, especially at first, to see if something you want is going there. MOST ** Spam post - please alert a Moderator **, etc. emails do not contain your email address (unfortunately, some do).
    Cheers,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I use Junk-Out and find it very effective for filtering out that kind of spam. It takes a little training because it uses a bayesian filter, but it doesn't take long and it can be set to allow emails from individuals or domains that you trust as well.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What we have found reasonably effective is to first use rules to separate your good "expected" mail. Mail from the office gets automatically sorted in one folder, mail from friends goes to another folder, mailing list mail each gets their own home. With enough rules, your default Inbox becomes the last place that you look for your mail, reducing the amount of time you have to spend sorting through junk.

Secondly, if you combine that with a Bayesian filter anti-spam software, that software will "learn" that those misspelled and nonsense words represent Spam, and will filter them for you, without you having to write and rewrite all sorts of pattern-matching rules to keep up with the Spam. After training , you really only have to check your "Junk suspects" folder.

Lastly, I like to use Outlook 2003's graphics blocker, so if I glance at a suspect mail in the preview pane, and all I see are a boatload of undownloaded graphics, I can simply hit the Del key

Works for us,