3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sounds in PowerPoint (PowerPoint 2002)

I am confused about something and need it explained to me. I had always thought that when you prepare a PowerPoint presentation, it is necessary to create a separate folder and put all of the sound files in that folder. I have followed that practice when I put a PP presentation on CD. All the sound and picture files come along with the CD.

Recently, a friend showed me a presentation from a CD. The only file that I saw on the CD was the name of the presentation. I saw no files indicating sounds. This presentation has 131 slides. The size is 112 MB. I copied it to my computer and it plays fine. All of the sounds are there. Basically, my question is this: Why did I not see any icons depicting sound files on the CD? Why do the sounds come through?

I had hoped to provide just one of those slides as an attachment. However, the file size is 1.39 MB, too much to send on this Website. When I created a separate presentation using just this one slide, it played fine. Same question? Why is there no indication for a sound file?

I am able to send this one slide out as an attachment. I am sure there must be a simple answer and would appreciate anyone giving it to me.
    Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

Thanks

Re: sounds in PowerPoint (PowerPoint 2002)

Take a look at this thread -- Embedding Sounds (XP) -- and then see if your PPT files has WAV files embedded in it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for responding so quickly. How do I see if there are embedded WAV files? There are no sound icons. I still am having trouble understanding how the whole presentation could be copied to my computer. Thank you again.
    Alan Silberlight

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alan,

There could be two reasons why you do not see the sound icons.

(1) The sound icons have been dragged off the slide area, or they are behind another object.

(2) The sounds may have been added to each slide using Slideshow menu > Slide Transition > Sound

Cheers
    TAJ Simmons
    microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds
    TAJ Simmons
    microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the sounds are WAV files, they could be embedded into the presentation. And, as TAJ mentioned, if they are embedded into the slide transitions, you won't see any icons for them.

If you use File/Save As HTML, you will end up with all of the sound files in one of the resulting folders. If you see sound file(s) there, but you don't see the icons in the presentation, you can be pretty sure that there were WAV sounds embedded into the slide transitions.

The way you've been taught to do it -- put all the sound files in the folder with the presentation -- is the proper procedure for non-WAV sounds, e.g., MP3, MIDI, etc., as those cannot be embedded and therefore must be linked.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have checked everything. Yes, the sounds are embedded WAV files. Also, I created a presentation using embedded WAV files and I came up with the same result.
    I have worked with PowerPoint for about 5 years. Since I believe that no one can know everything, I have always sought the help of others when there has been a problem or when there has been something that I did not understand. Woody's lounge (peer-to-peer help) has been invaluable to me.
    I am grateful to everyone who wrote back with an answer. I have learned something that I did not know. Once again, thank you so much for helping me.
    Sincerely,
    Alan Silberlight