Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virus--VBS/SST.gen@mm

I got just got a VBS virus from an Outlook attachment. Unfortunately, it is sending itself to everyone in my address book. I could not stop it, so I crashed my computer. I would like to clean the outgoing file out before opening Outlook again. Where can I find it. I don't want to wipe out my pst file if I can help it. I have already shared this virus with about half the list. Any help? My Mcafee Clinic found and deleted the infected file but not the scripting that had taken over my send file. I've read the info on the virus, but received no help on stopping these messages. This is embarrassing.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Virus--VBS/SST.gen@mm

disconnect your internet connection from the computer by unhooking the cord or cable from the computer.
    open outlook and delete the files in the outbox. you can't delete the outbox without opening outlook. (express does have a separate outbox file)

Next, go to your favorite retailer, online or local, and buy a copy of AV software. I prefer Norton, but McAfee will do.
    Install it locally and have it run on autoprotect.

Don't use the email protection feature but do have it update the virus defs once or twice a week.. if not more.

You may also want to consider installing the email security patch for outlook, unless you sync with palms or do a lot of mail merges.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Virus--VBS/SST.gen@mm

Thank you. I did as you said and was able to get rid of the infected files. However, since delete features were disabled, I had to copy the infected files to another folder to delete them. As soon as I moved them out of the outbox, the delete feature was available. What a mess. I'm glad you were there!