5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP (SP2) Almost perfect (XP PRO (SP2))

Well, after backing everything up which way to Sunday I installed XP2. I was expecting it to do something like reinstalling Windows Messenger but it was very well behaved. There are only three issues:

1. Bootup time seems to be a good 15-20 seconds slower.

2. I switched Windows Firewall Off but it seems to come back on automatically the first time I start a program like Dreamweaver that wants to connect out. It hasn't recognised the presence of Sygate Personal Firewall Pro. Both Firewalls ask questions at the same time. But the XP firewall only asks once.

3. The most worrying thing is that two or three times now my Wacom pen has stopped working after I tried to close a fully maximized window. I checked for new drivers but didn't find any. If this starts happening on a regular basis it will be a real pain.

Has anyone else experienced problems after Installing XP2 with a Wacom Intuos Pen, or any other pen for that matter?

All in all, though, it seems OK

Chris (Hunt)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: XP (SP2) Almost perfect (XP PRO (SP2))

Chris,

1.) You might try cleaning out C:windowsprefetch. That should let XP optimize the boot process. Try using Autoruns to check out what is starting now.
    2.) Have you turned the firewall off & then re-booted while you know it is off? SPF Pro is not currently recognized by Security Center. They are working on an update so it will be.
    3.) You got me.
    Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe,

I downloaded Autoruns and ran it. For some reason it wanted to use port 80 to connect somewhere out of my computer. I wouldn't let it. It did generate a list of startups which wasn't different from what I expected. What is prefetch. What is the best way of cleaning it out? The Windows firewall seems to be off now, I guess I hadn't set it properly the first time..

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...What is prefetch... <hr>
    Since Joe doesn't seem to be online yet, take a look here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Big Al,

Do you use the program you linked to? I tired clicking on the author's link but Majorgeeks indicated there was no further information. Some more feedback about the program would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So far so good with the SP2 update. When I restarted the computer only the background came up for about 3-4 minutes and the SP2 finished its installation. It was scary at first as there was no mention of this in the lititor. It happened on my second computer also so this must be a bug of some sort. I have MacAfee Security center and I had it disabled throughout the update. When I rebooted I shut off the Microsoft firewall and I have had no conflicting problems so far. I use Dream Weaver also and I have not uploaded anything as of yet so I will have to see if it is a pain or not.Thanks for the input.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I've used it in the past and just did so again. It does empty the prefetch folder although I suppose you could do that manually. I didn't realize the link you mentioned was dead. I also intended the link to be a brief definition for you of the term "prefetch."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Big Al,

I'll give it a try. I did a search and the program seems to be on offer for download in lots of places and has good ratings. It's a pity there doesn't seem to be a homepage.

Chris