Warning: This is a long one, 3 conventional pages (including an Appendix, for Heaven's sake!)

Microsoft has made a Byzantine mystery out of getting ahold of their 'HotFix' for the "Detect and Repair" bug in Outlook that I am supplying it here with instructions for its use. The Outlook problem comes from a faulty file installed with IE: vga.dll. Read on.

This Microsoft fix works just splendidly, once installed; and will end all Outlook problems related to the IE installation. Sinxce I hate to see members here suffer tooth-grinding frustration, I am giving you next week's Microsoft Passord to save you stumbling through their bizarre obstacle course.

I'm going to run through the errors in the fix that MS gave me for those interested, only. Others can follow a faster route that I'll show you in a second.

In the 'Appendix' to this message, you van find the full text of the Microsoft email I received and the pertinent article from the Microsoft Knowledge Base. All of that is supplied for those who want to follow the short discussion below. For those who prefer to simply use the HotFix as soon as they can--here's your promised shortcut: Skip down half-a-dozen paragraphs to where you see this paragraph start:
*Here is the... "

There you will find all you need to use this HotFix.

For those who like to follow the reasoning of thing, come along with me as I go through a brief review of the errors found in my copy of the HotFix Support email. To make sense of what I am saying, you should probably open or print out the 1-page attachment to this Msg. It is a verbatim copy of the original from Microsoft Support, and was only successfully solicited after having daringly negotiated The Mystery Maze of Horrors that Microsoft has (for some obscure reason) erected around their HotFix Department.

Here are the 3 errors I found in the attached:

Error #1

The instructions are emphatic, and wrong. The user is ordered to include "all the text" between the two brackets. But that text includes two, not one, URL. Anyone trying to use that tangle would be grounded. So one version must be deleted. Wise user will delete the 2nd address, since that contains another error, all its own.

Ah...the second address. The error here is the inclusion of the < > signs at beginning and end. They're a little tricky since we are so used to seeing them in print, used for addresses and commands. In print, we know to eliminate them before use. But here we are under strict orders to "include all text between" those brackets. And of course they are inside the brackets. Whatever the authority behind our current orders, we have to remove the two < > signs before we can get anywhere.

In my email, there is a Carriage Return inside the URL, and it is half hidden. Until that's removed all else is void. You'll find it just where the line physically breaks. So that must be seamed together.

That's it with the errors. Now, here's the passwords and stuff.

*Here is the corrected URL, the GOOD URL:

And here is the Superbly Secret, Multiply Mystical, Microsoft Private Password. NOTE: These Passwords are JUST good for 7 days, and then they are changed -- so get moving.

Good until 5/10/2001 9:14:30am: @DrCNaep-$

Good until 5/17/2001 (?) : dNCBiP7u-Y

By the way, the password is just used during INSTALL, not during Download; that makes it real easy.

The download file is small (around 600Kb), and zipped.

Installation is a snap.

All Happy Things,

Appendix I - Microsoft Knoledge Base Article.

Office 2000 "Detect and Repair" Process Generates Error Code 1931
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 for Windows 98
Second Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 for Windows 2000

After you install Microsoft Office 2000 and Internet Explorer 5.5, the Office 2000 Detect and Repair process may generate the following error message:

Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional Error 1931: The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedVGXVgx.dll because the file is protected by Windows. You may need to update your operating system for this program to work correctly.

NOTE: To more effectively search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, use keywords that relate to your issue when you search. If you are searching for troubleshooting information that is not referred to in this article, please try searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base again by using keywords that are listed in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Q242450 How to Query the Microsoft Knowledge Base Using Keywords

This problem can occur because the version of the Vector Graphics Extensions (Vgx.dll) file that is included with Internet Explorer 5.5 has the wrong checksum. The incorrect version of the Vgx.dll file that is installed by Internet Explorer 5.5 is:

Vgx.dll, version 5.50.4133.200 BetaVersion BETA, Office Version 10.0.803

The invalid checksum causes Microsoft Installer to determine that the file is damaged and needs to be restored.

On operating systems that do not support the System File Protection feature, the following Office version of the Vgx.dll file is installed by the Detect and Repair process from the CD-ROM or from the Microsoft Office Web site:
Vgx.dll, version 5.00.3014.1003, product version 5.00.3014.1003

A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem described in this article and should be applied only to systems experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing at a later time, to further ensure product quality. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Internet Explorer service pack that contains this fix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, please go to the following address on the World Wide Web:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp>http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp</A>

NOTE: In special cases, charges that are normally incurred for support calls may be canceled, if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. Normal support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:

Date Time Version Size File name Platform
11/07/2000 19:14 5.50.4211.7 1,769,544 Vgx.dll Intel

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

Additional query words:

Keywords : kberrmsg kbtool msient msiew98
Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbIEsearch kbExchange550 kbZNotKeyword2 kbIENT400Search kbZNotKeyword3 kbIE2000Search kbIE98SESearch

Article ID: Q279177 Last Reviewed: February 23, 2001