3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VLOOKUP in VBA problem with ' (2000sp3)

I'm trying to use VLOOKUP in VBA in order to have a lookup function in personal.xls which I can use from anywhere and change the source appropriately, but the vb compiler is baulking at the ' preceding the file path. So Application.WorksheetFunction.Vlookup(parameter, RefSheet!A:B,2,False) works fine, but Application.WorksheetFunction.Vlookup(parameter, 'Z:my documents[reference workbook.xls]RefSheet'!A:B,2,False) does not. What do I need to do to make this work?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VLOOKUP in VBA problem with ' (2000sp3)

I don't see how using RefSheet!A:B could work in VBA, it is not a valid reference to a range. [RefSheet!A:B] should be OK, as well as

Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(parameter, ['Z:my documents[reference workbook.xls]RefSheet'!A:B], 2, False)

but only if the reference workbook is open, so you might as well use

Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(parameter, ['[reference workbook.xls]RefSheet'!A:B], 2, False)

The more common way of doing this would be to use

Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(parameter, Workbooks("reference workbook.xls").Worksheets("RefSheet").Range("A:B") , 2, False)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VLOOKUP in VBA problem with ' (2000sp3)

Thanks Hans,

I have to admit I'm always confused about the way worksheet functions refer to ranges in other workbooks - I always end up using the function wizard if I have to, and copying the syntax from the resultant formula - hence the syntax which you think won't work.

I'm glad you pointed out the "usual" technique, as I didn't think I could mix VBA and "workbook" range selection methods like that. Now I know you can that's the best way to do it, as I'm at home with that syntax.

Cheers