New Lounger
    Thanks

SP2 install fails - trashes Windows (SP-1 to SP-2)

When trying to install SP-2, the installation hangs near the end, while saying "running processes after install." When I reboot, Windows detects an incomplete installation, and tries to restore Windows to its pre-update condition. After this, Windows will not boot at all, and I've had to restore the partition from a Ghost image I created before doing tthe update. This has happened 3 times at the smae point -- twice when using the full 270 Mb SP-2 downlaod, and once when trying to install using Windows Update.

The computer has XP Pro SP-1, all critical updates, Norton Systemworks 2003 (I've tried disabling NAV autoprotect), and Zone Alarm free version (turned off before starting the update). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jon F.

Thanks

Re: SP2 install fails - trashes Windows (SP-1 to SP-2)

Jon,

Is the machine hanging at the "running processes after install" screen or is it simply taking a very long time? I have now upgraded three machines with the 270Mb package. In all three instances, it took a very long time to complete this last procedure but eventually it did complete and I received the prompt to reboot.

If this is not the case, then have a look at <!mskb=875355>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 875355<!/mskb>. Hope this helps.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SP2 install fails - trashes Windows (SP-1 to S

It *appears* to hang - I've left it for 30 minutes with no apparent hard drive activity. Maybe I should give it an hour next time?

Jon

Thanks

Well 30 minutes is a long time. Might be worth a shot to leave it be for an hour or so. If still no success, then follow the procedure in the KB article that I referred to previously. In particular, note the steps in "Collect information about the Windows XP SP2 installation and about your computer". You may have to call MS Product Support to resolve the issue.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I tried waiting an hour, with no better results. The recovery procedure described in the MS KB article also fails, with what looked like hundreds of "access denied" messages flashing by while files were being reinstalled, after which Windows wouldn't boot (blue screen error c:0000221 - corrupted drivers). I restored everything once again with a Ghost image. I'm waiting to hear from Microsoft - thanks for your help.

Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know I'm probably way out in left field here, but I have to wonder if ZoneAlarm might be the problem. I know you said you turned it off, but given that many people have said that turning it off doesn't always do the trick, I wonder what would happen if you uninstalled it completely and then tried the SP2 install?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion -- in my case the solution turned out to be installing SP-2 from Safe Mode. The installation was a lot slower that way, but looks like everything is working normally now.

Jon