2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Date Aging Query (2002)

I have a table of project information includine ProjectID, ProjectCreatedDate, and ProjectName. I can query the table individually for projects older than 30 and less than 60 days old using <Date()-30 And >Date()-60. Is there an easy way to include grouping within a query that would allow for 61-90, 90-120 days old, etc.? Thank you. - scott

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Date Aging Query (2002)

In the query add a field with the following expression :
    Int((Date()-[ProjectCreatedDate])/30)
    and group on that field
    Francois

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the help. I created a field within the query Expr1: Int((Date()-[ProjectCreatedDate])/30) and set totals to group by. When I run the query I get an error: ODBC Call Failed. Microsoft ODBC SQL Server Driver - Sql server Invalid operator for data type. Operator equals divide, type equals datetime (#403) The table is a linked sql server table. The field property is set to smalldatetime. Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Please test the following function, it seems to work on my sql 2000, but I have to recognize that I have very little experience with sql server.
    <pre>Expr1: Val(IIf(Not IsDate([ProjectCreatedDate]),"",Int((Date()-DateSerial(Year([ProjectCreatedDate]),
    Month([ProjectCreatedDate]),Day([ProjectCreatedDate])))/30)))</pre>

Maybe someone will come with a better idea to handel this date problem with sql server.
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume you're running this query in Access, right? SQL smalldatetime fields aren't fully compatible with Access, so you may need to use a stored procedure to cast the ProjectCreatedDate as a datetime instead. Also, try wrapping the expression (Date()-[ProjectCreatedDate]) in a conversion function like CInt() and see if that makes a difference.

You might also want to take a look at the Partition function to group your data into ranges.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another strategy you might try is using the DateDiff() function on the current date and the ProjectCreated date, and request the difference in either days or months depending on how you want to group things. That is then an arithmetic value that you could for example do a cross tab or a pivot table.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your help. I will try your suggestions and let you know how it turns out. -scott