New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail rules behave differently in Outlook 2003 (Outlook 2003)

In Outlook 2000, I made a rule to forward some mails to another Exchange / Outlook user. When the rule ran, the mail was forwarded and no copy was put in my 'Sent Items' folder. This was good.
    When we upgraded to Outlook 2003, the old Outlook 2000 rule continued to work exactly as before. This is excellent.
    Now, if I create a new rule under Outlook 2003, that has exactly the same functionality as the old Outlook 2000 rule, then when I run it the mail gets forwarded OK, but an extra copy gets put in my 'Sent Items' folder. This is not at all good: if the mail being forwarded is high-volume, my 'Sent Items' folder gts filled up with stuff I don't want. GRRRRR.

How can I stop ths happening?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail rules behave differently in Outlook 2003

Well, I'm not sure I like the idea of a rule to automatically forward a high volume of messages to another person. What happens when you fill the subject's mailbox size limit, and it starts sending the messages back to you as an NDR, which your rule recognizes as something that needs to be forwarded to him, and so on, and so on. Could be a bad situation. I would suggest looking into ways of having the messages of interest delivered to the right people from the source (Or published to a public folder).

However, I looked at the OL203's options, and there seems to be a "Save Forwarded Messages" that, when cleared, stopped creating a copy of forwarded messages in my sent items.

You could also try a different rule. There is one that says "Redirect to another" rather than "Forward to another". A quick consult with the Docs didn't turn up anything on just what the difference might be though.

Hope this helps

New Lounger
    Thanks

If I turn off "Save Forwarded Messages" , then Outlook stops saving _any_ forwarded messages.
    It's only the messages automatically forwarded from me by a rule that I don't want in Sent Items

If Outlook had never worked that way, I wouldn't complain, but since it used to work 'right' in Outlook 2000 and doesn't in Outlook 2003, I'm disappointed

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds more like it was an inconsistency that they fixed in the lastest version. Did you try the "redirect" option to see if that behaved diffrently?

You might have to write a custom function if you want something other than the default behvior of "Forward" http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx