Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Jet Error 3197 prevents opening DB (Office 2000

When I try to open my time study database, I get an error message which says "MS Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time. (Error 3197)". No one else has the DB open, we have re-booted the server and computers several times all to no avail. Have tried to create a new DB to copy the tables out and can not do this. I get the same error message. Other DB's on the system opens and works OK. Would someone please help.

Thank You very much.

Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Jet Error 3197 prevents opening DB (Office 2000

This probably won't work, but first check if an .ldb file of the same name as the database has been left behind in the folder that contains the database. If so, delete the .ldb file and try to open the database again.

If that fails, your database is almost certainly corrupt. Since you already tried to import the tables into a new database, it doesn't look good. There are two other things you can try:
    - Download Jetcomp.exe from ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center; this utility can sometimes repair databases that cannot be opened any more.
    - Try to import the data into Excel (Data | Get External Data | New Database Query...); the ODBC driver operates at a low level and may be able to get at the data.
    Otherwise, a recent non-corrupt backup is your best bet.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Jet Error 3197 prevents opening DB (Office

Hans,
    First, Thank You for such a speedy reply. The .ldb file was the first thing I thought of and looked for - did not have one. Was able to use your suggestion to use Excel to recover the table data from the DB - all looks good there. Tried to use the Jetcomp.exe and received a message "Can't compact this version of database", which I don't understand. But from what you said, this would be possible. I tried both the 4.x and 3.x formats and received the same message.

At least i was able to recover the data tables, thanks to you. Now all I have to do is to figure out how to properly get the data back in to a working copy of the DB.

Thanks again
    Jim