Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Masil Merge Problem Word 2003/Access 2002 (Office2003SP-1/Access2002)

I suspect that Word searches for Access 2003. Perhaps starting, then quitting Access 2002 before the mail merge will make Word 2003 recognize Access 2002. But if the merge itself works with ODBC, I would stick with that. You can format the merge fields in the merge document as follows:
    - Right click a merge field and select Toggle Field Codes.
    - Insert a formatting switch before the closing bracket, e.g.

{ MERGEFIELD Amount # "$#,##0.00" }

- Right click the merge field again and select Toggle Field Codes.
    - Press F9 to update the field immediately (it will be updated automatically when you execute the mail merge)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge Problem Word 2003/Access 2002 (Office2003SP-1/Access2002)

(I looked through previous posts but did not find this topic. If there exists a thread for this, I apologize and just direct me to it.)
    I have a Word document that is linked with an Access database for a mail merge that worked as desired using DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) when both Word and Access were both 2002 (XP) versions. I just upgraded to Office 2003 Student & Teacher edition for price reasons, continuing to use Access 2002 now with Word 2003. The mail merge began as it always had but then I got the first message:
    and the help produced this message: This error message can appear if you attempt to insert a database into a Word document as an object or attach an Access data source to a Word mail merge main document. This error message usually occurs if there is a problem communicating via Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE). Possible remedies are to reboot the system or attach the date source using an alternative method (ODBC, DAO).
    I went through the process of reestablishing the data source in ODBC and the merge apparently worked, except that the data was not transferred with it's database formatting, most specifically numbers that were stored as currency in the database. The number values are transferred but not the dollar sign and not the decimal places; $75.00 transfers as 75 and $151.70 as 151.7. Since this document is a billing notice, this of course is unacceptable. I know very little about SQL, DDE and ODBC so I don't really know where to begin and what Office 2003 may have to do with any of this or if the "hybrid" use of 2002 and 2003 is the culprit and if there is a straightforward solution that I'm not educated enough to realize. The document and database were both originally created in Office 98 and made the migration to Office XP (2002) with no problem (Access database was converted to Access 2002 format), so this came as a surprise to me, though I expected to find some problems whenever I do an upgrade like this. Any Office/Access experts out there that can lend a hand? Thanks for even reading this.

Rick
    Windows XP SP-2, Office S&T edition 2003 SP-1, Access 2002 SP-3

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge Problem Word 2003/Access 2002 (Office2003SP-1/Access2002)

Thanks Hans for the lesson. The formatting switch just as you posted works just great and solves the problem. I'm not ecstatic about this way of doing it but I guess if one has to live with Access 2002 with Word 2003, as I do for now, and this is the only way it will work, then I guess I will be happy. Still hoping that there may still be a way for Word 2003 to find and recognize Access 2002; I'm just afraid that I'll forget this procedure the next time I have to create a similar document for mail merge or where I saved your post. Oh, Starting then quitting Access before the mail merge did not work nor did starting and leaving Access open. Anyway, thanks again for the timely and very useful reply.

Rick