Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinks (2000 SR-1)

User has long document with multiple links to same web page. After clicking on a link to go to the web, the user is returned to the document at which ever location was originally clicked. E.g., first clicked on link 3 on page 20, then clicks on link on page 1 and user will be returned to page 20, not page 1. Is there a reason the user is not returned to the page in the document they most recently linked from? Why are they returned in the document to the site of the first clicked-on hyperlink? Can the behavior be changed as requested?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlinks (2000 SR-1)

Hmmm. I can't duplicate this with Word 2000. If I close the web page (or Alt+tab) back to Word, I'm taken back to where I left off. Can you copy a couple of pages with multiple links & attach it to your post? Be sure to omit any sensitive information.

Lounger
    Thanks

I do not have the person's document. When I attempt to duplicate this behavior, I am returned to the desktop, NOT the document. Clicking on the taskbar returns me to the document on the page that I linked from.

Sorry for the delay responding. I thought I would get an email when I received a reply here but that did not happen.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

When the links were created, was it copied and pasted to create the links to the other locations? If this was the case, it ill always return to the original link!
    It would be best to create each link induvidually than copy 1 and paste it into other locations in the document!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Brenda:
    Perhaps I'm not following the steps.

- You click a link in a Word document & you're taken to a web page in your default browser.
    - You close the web page.

You should be "taken back" to whatever application you were last using, just like using Alt+tab. I'm not sure what you mean by being taken back to the desktop. Does Word minimize when you click on a hyperlink?

Lounger
    Thanks

On MY computer 1) I click a link and go to web site 2)I close web site 3) Word is minimized and I am at the desktop. No, it is not responding like Alt+Tab. Therefore, I cannot exactly duplicate the error of the user since I am not being returned directly to the document. When I click on the taskbar to return, then I do return to the place I left the document.

I encounter this even when I have created the same link in multiple places, ALWAYS by retyping the link, NEVER copying a link from a previous page.

However, even if the link was pasted, the user's error is the same. She first clicks on the 3rd link and is returned to the 3rd link. THEN she clicks on the 10th link, but this time is returned to the 3rd link, etc. Close the document and reopen it, and whatever link is first used, that is the position in the document the user will always be returned to during that session regarding of what link was first used - 3rd, 10th, first, whatever.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Brenda:
    Well, this is strange. Today, I was able to consistently duplicate the behavior that you describe on your computer. I'm not positive why I never noticed this before unless I've always used Alt+tab after going to the web page or always had another application open that I used. I also don't know why I couldn't duplicate this behavior when I tried before.

The behavior is the same in Excel. Clicking a hyperlink will minimize the document window. Closing the web page takes you back to either a desktop or another application window that is open. I can avoid having Word minimized when clicking a hyperlink by adding the <font color=red>n</font color=red> switch & updating the link. I still can't duplicate the behavior that your user describes. I'll continue to look at this and let you know if I discover anything.

Thanks

I've never understood all the interactions between Word and IE. Sometimes I noticed that if you click the Back button from a web page Word launched in IE, you are back in Word without so much as changing a window. How strange is that?! If it solves this problem, perhaps that is the best workaround?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I've told the user that apparently the document is "working as designed" UNLESS perhaps the document is corrupted in some way. My definition of corrupted is "anything incorrectly happening without a good explanation." We tried inserting the document into a new document, and NOW her Word is also minimized where it had not been before. Good to know from you folks that it is NOT us but some inconsistency in the software. I think we're going to have to let this problem go as one of those "Unsolved Mysteries."

Lounger
    Thanks

The back button might work sometimes, but I did not get it to return at all, except to the first link. Oh well, it was a thought. Thanks for contributing an idea to this "Unsolved Mystery."