2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combo Box / Auto Expand (Access 2002)

I couldn't fiind any help via search, hence this post.

I've a combo box with dropdown fired when the control receives the focus. I also have AutoExpand set to true. When the user tabs into the control, the current value is highlighted and the drop list shows. With the current value highlighted the user can also begin typing a new value. However, when the user clicks on the field (rather than tabbing) the current value is not highlighted and it is awkward for the user to change the value via typing. Thus far I've not been able to figure out how to highlight the current value when the control receives the focus via mouse.

Thanks for the help,
    Marty

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo Box / Auto Expand (Access 2002)

Tell the user to click on the label from the combo instead of on the combo itself
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think it's easy to change this behavior. You can provide an accelerator key, so that the user can set focus to the combo box from anywhere on the form - precede a character in the label attached to the combo box by an ampersand &. The character will be underlined in form view, and the user can press Alt+character to set focus to the combo box. Teach your users to either use Tab or the accelerator shortcut.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion. I failed to mention the combo is on a sub form which is in datasheet view mode. I've got it covered if they click on the record selector. I was hoping someone would know of a way when the user has clicked in the combo box. I guess I will just have to train the user.

Thanks again.
    Marty

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I use the following code to achieve what you want.

Private Sub ComboTeacherName_MouseUp(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
    Me!comboTeachername.SelStart = 0
    Me!comboTeachername.SelLength = Len(Me!ComboTeachername.Column(1))
    End Sub

I haven't tried it in datasheet subforms, so I am not sure how it goes there.

The downside is that if you click the drop down of the combo box, the list collapses immediately. Click it a second time and it stays down.

If you have the combo set to dropdown when it gets the focus, this no longer works, but this then means that it does then dropdown the first time you click the drop down arrow.
    Regards
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I'll play with it and then decide what set of trade offs seem to work best for my user.