Lounger
    Thanks

SP2 versus new DVD writer (XP Home SR1 Spanish)

I have been given a Sony DRU-700A, brand new, seller's warranty soon to expire (long story). Would you replace the old DVD drive first and then upgrade to SP2, or viceversa? Why? Also, should I uninstall the old DVD drive before I remove it physically, or does it matter? MTIA.

Thanks

Re: SP2 versus new DVD writer (XP Home SR1 Spanish)

<hr>replace the old DVD drive first and then upgrade to SP2, or viceversa?<hr>
    Doesn't make any difference.
    Would probably uninstall the old DVD first (via device manager), shut down, physically replace the drive, and then reboot. New DVD will be detected. If there are any particular drivers or other software that came with the new drive, then follow the manufacturer's instructions as to the order of installation (if any) - i.e. software first or hardware first. If you have any CD/DVD burning software installed, it would be a good idea to check with the software manufacturer to ensure that the new drive is supported. There are often updates to CD burning software that simply provide support for new drives that have come to market after the software release.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions