Star Lounger
    Thanks

cannot put computer on standby (home)

I recently tried to install the driver for a scanner I bought a couple years ago (Acer Scanner 620-Driver is Mira Scan) and when I did, it caused my computer to no longer allow me to put it into standby, and the stupid scanner still doesn't work. Any suggestions for getting XP back to the original setting? I use standby all of the time!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: cannot put computer on standby (home)

Hi Ruth,

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers? You can also try system restore but if you have installed anything else after the acer drivers then the newer installs may not work after the system restore and may have to be reinstalled. Another option is using www.DriverGuide.com to locate more recent drivers that may be compatible with standby. (driverguide requires free registration)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I uninstalled the driver, but it didn't solve any of my problems. How does system restore work? I have the cds, but I always thought they would return your computer to its original configuration.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks

Thanks

Has nothing to do with the CDs Ruth. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Then select "Restore my computer to an earlier time". You should then see some restore points for previous days. Simply select the one prior to the original installation of the drivers. Hope this helps.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help. System restore fixed the problem and is a very useful feature that I will keep in mind for the future! The cds I mentioned came with my computer and are Compaq Quick Restore, which does return your computer to the original settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Like RuthieB, but on an AMD system running XP Home, using Suspend and Hibernate rarely but successfully until recently. What happens now is the system starts to try to Suspend or Hibernate ((S) or (H)), but then pops up a Windows information box reporting that (S) or (H) cannot communicate with the keyboard, that I should reinstall or update the keyboard drivers. Last time I tried Suspend at all was May probably, successfully; in the course of June & July I upgraded Spybot S&D from 1.2 to 1.3, installed Office 2000, and installed Acrobat Pro 4.05a (with the free Acrobat Reader already on the system). All these worked fine. Mid-August: first next Hibernation -- failed as described. Any hints which SW install may be the breaker here? What to uninstall if reverting to an earlier restore-point? Thanks. -- fej

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Some older hardware is NOT support the use of Hibernation and/or Suspend. If these actions do happen to work, then some hardware will NOT wake up and a manual shut down and reboot is required.
    Older printers, scanners and NICs are famous for not being woke up. This is the main reason I recommend that one does NOT use Hibernation and/or Suspend. Along this same line the use of Switch User can have similar problems.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've resolved this issue, for me, at least. Solution, in my case, was to uninstall the Adobe ATM component of Adobe Acrobat Pro v. 4. It turns out to be a known problem that software linking somehow to the keyboard driver to enable hot-key support can interfere with the same Windows ACPI power management routines that suspend and hibernate rely on -- and that the driver ATMhelpr.sys from ATM is a prime example (it dates from 1997 (!)). Uninstalling ATM solved my problem.
    This solution appears quite explicitly among the many adept tips SRamesh offers in his pages at: www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ . -- fej