3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Number of records

Think I know the answer, but I just wanted to check...

I have approx. one million records that I need to store and report on (filtering, summarizing, etc.). Each record comprises some 30 fields. Only one person will be using the database at a time, so there are no multi-user considerations involved.

Presumably Access would be capable of handling such a number of records? How about if the number of records grew to 10 million, say?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Number of records

Depending on the version of Access, the largest table-size is either 1 or 2 Gigabytes. In either case, you're out of your mind to maintain tables this size in Access. They may work (I've heard of queries that eventually ran on 14 million records), but the performance will NOT be acceptable. It's like dry cleaning--you drop it off with the database engine and come back to pick it up next week.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte - thanks for the reply. So presumably you'd use either Oracle or SQL Server?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, yeah! Access is a wonderful program and I make my living building Access databases, but Jet is a file server database engine and large numbers of records need the horsepower you get with a database server like Oracle or SQL Server.

However, that's just for the back end. Access makes a wonderful front end, especially for SQL Server. In Access 2000, and ADP is a direct window into a SQL Server back end, but it takes care on the developer's part to optimize its performance.
    Charlotte