3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstalling Netscape?

I did something relating to the installation of the MS Personal Web Server on windows 95 that broke Netscape 4.61, Internet Explorer (only if launched from the default desktop icon), Palm HotSync, and CleanSweep (the last Quarterdeck version).

Palm HotSync and CleanSweep would not launch until I went to DOS and copied msvcrt.dll that was in the ws2bakup folder over the copy that MS PWS put in the windowssystem folder. They work fine now.

IE, if launched from the default desktop icon "loaded" instantly, but what it loaded was a ghost that did not exist. If clicked on, desktop icons beneath the IE window worked as if IE was not there. IE did not appear on the task bar, and Ctrl-Alt-Del brought up a task list that did not include it. When I launched IE from the Start Menu instead, everything worked fine. I copied the shortcut from the start menu to the desktop and it works fine also, but I can't delete the ghost producing one.

I can't seem to solve the Netscape problem. This older computer came with a 1GB HD. I installed a 4.5 GB secondary drive (D: & E, and the original drive (C contains only system and swap files -- no applications or "program files". I even moved the %TEMP% environment variable to D:temp. Netscape, however, ignores the %TEMP% variable and uses c:temp for its temporary (not cache) files. If you delete or rename c:temp (I tried c:temp-schmenp) Netscape just creates a new c:temp and uses it. Worse yet, it continues to grow the swap file until it consumes the entire c: drive and everything comes crashing down. It usually takes only 2 or 3 page views to grow the swap file from 30 MB to 150M, an then I start getting out of memory messages. The machine has 48MB of physical memory. No other notorious memory hogs (like Winword, StarOffice or CorelDraw/Photo-Paint create this problem -- unless Netscape is running.

I can live without Netscape as a browser. Opera is my favorite and I use IE for sites that give Opera problems. But I prefer Netscape mail over all others. I deleted Outlook and refuse to install it. It's absence from my computer has saved me from almost all viral attacks, and I have no use for the non-eMail features. My former favorite, Pegasus, implements HTML mail poorly. Opera Mail does not support outgoing formatted mail at all. StarOffice mail on my Linux computer works great, but on my windows computer does a poor job of supporting folders (other than the inbox and outbox) and causes constant crashes (which don't occur on my Linux computer.)

The way I see it, I have two choices: fix Netscape (my preference) or install Eudora (likely with its own idiosyncratic problems).

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this Netscape memory problem (which didn't exist before installing PWS)? Would upgrading from 4.61 (the current @Home customization) to 4.73, in and of itself solve it? Do I need to uninstall first, and if so, how do I save my mail files without reintroducing the problem?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reinstalling Netscape?

Whew! I can tell you that a quick check of my c:/temp reveals it's empty and I use both the NS browser and mail. I haven't "cleaned" my drive in a few days, haven't shut down in over 48 hours, and 3 other accounts have been accessed in that time. I can't say if it's because of my newer version of NSC, or some other configuration because it was all done ages ago.

I don't know if it would work, but you may try a work-around -- on your c: delete the c:temp and create a shortcut to the d:temp, renaming the shortcut to c:temp. See if NS follows the shortcut, errors out or insists on creating the folder. It doesn't really answer the problem, but may provide a short-term solution.
    Karen

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Karen,

Got to confess that I know how to create a symbolic link in Linux that would do what you suggest, and how to create a windows shortcut that launches a folder window (explorer w/o the left pane), but I don't know how to create a windows shortcut that acts as a redirect the way that you suggest, along the lines of a Linux symbolic link.

Can you please describe how?

What version of Netscape are you using?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In Win 9x, the shortcut which launches will also behave as a redirect -- so it's the same. If you want to test it, create a shortcut on your desktop to your d:temp (once this works you can just cut and then paste into your c. Ctrl+click and drag a copy of one of your desktop files to that shortcut. Note that the folder doesn't launch in Explorer; however, if you then launch, you'll see that it placed the copy in the d:temp folder.

NSC 4.76
    Karen