Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Window Resizing (Word 2003 SP1)

I have noticed that since installing Office 2003 SP1 the size of my Word window will change on its own when I open it.

I like to have Word open at about half the size of my monitor and it always did until the installation of Office 2003 SP1. Possibly it could have been the installation of XPP SR2 that caused it. They were both installed about the same time. Anyway, now occasionally Word will open up to what looks like full screen although it is really just very slightly less than full screen. I then have to resize it to what I want and it will hold for a week or so and then all of a sudden change on its own again. It always changes to a size just slightly less than full screen. Is there a fix for this to keep it at the size I want?

I don't notice this with the other Office programs I guess because I open them all to a full screen view.
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Window Resizing (Word 2003 SP1)

I don't have Word 2003, so I could be way off, but Office programs are supposed to open at the size they are last closed, unless you use a special shortcut that opens them differently (maximized, restored, or minimized). You are opening it in the restored position, from your description. When you say Full Screen, I think you mean maximized. Full screen (pressing F11) has no menu bar or toolbars.

One thing I can think of is that perhaps another program is opening Word ocassionally. e.g. do you view Word documents in a browser window? Do you tile or cascade windows from the taskbar?

I know that IE is notorious for changing window size & the cure (temporary) for this has been to close the last open window, properly sized, while holding down the Shift & Ctrt key & clicking the X in the upper right corner.

Thanks

Phil's message made me think of the strange way that MAPI always opens e-mail windows in a peculiarly small size. If Word is your e-mail editor, perhaps a hyperlink or other automated e-mail generating function opened Word that size (which Word then may remember).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Phil and jcher2000,

You're right, I meant maximized but it is not totally maximized, just very close to that size.

Do you tile or cascade windows from the taskbar? No I don
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

>>Word opens when I compose an email but that is all I

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

When you use Word to compose a message, make sure that it's the size you want when you close it & exit Word. I have always done this, especially since this problem came up.

If that doesn't work, see if it's cured when you deselect the option to use Word as an email editor. I
    H Lewton