New Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted software running (XP)

I have been experiencing a very slow computer. I've run Norton and updated the latest windows fixs and turned on the windows firewall(I'm on dialup) .
    I had a lot of processes running and realized the adware and spyware was clogging the machine.
    I downloaded Ad-Aware from Lavasoft and eliminated a lot of the adware and spyware files, however there seems to be exec files imbedded in my startup that brings a lot of it right back.
    I looked at the config sys but am not sure I wouldn't kill something I need.
    How can I completely clean out the files including from the start-up?

I'm looking for the basics since I'm not that advanced

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Unwanted software running (XP)

Try these two Star Posts first, and come back if you need more pointers:

Anti Adware, Spyware, Hijack
    and
    Tutorials & Links to Detection & Removal Tools

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to the reading material suggested by Leif, you CAN run MSCONFIG and un-check everything that's running at startup to see if you can isolate the cause of the slowness. Un-checking is not disastrous and you can always reinstate something you've turned off. At least it would give you a starting point for finding the culprit for slowdown of your system. It may take a little time to turn on one item at a time until you "find" the culprit.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Most of the spyware/adware stuff gets started from the registry RUN keys. Once of the products which displays what gets loaded at Startup is AutoRuns from SysInternals. Have a look at the output from this. If you want to post the results as a text file, the accompanying tool called AUTORUNSC gives clearer output!

Until you mentioned CONFIG.SYS I'd forgotten its existence on NT4 and above -- in XP it's a zero-byte file!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the help
    It got so bad that when logging on I was instantly logged off.
    I ran Spy Sweeper and eliminated 617 items. Still had the problem with the stuff being loaded on startup so I'm anxious to try autoruns which looks to be what I need.