New Lounger
    Thanks

Power Options (XP/SP2)

I'm hoping someone can explain why Microsoft only allows Administrators to change power options on a Windows XP box. The only thing i could find in the MSKB was a terse suggestion to log on with Administrator rights. This simply doesn't work in a business setting and seems to go against the grain of MS own advice to not be logged on as Administrator unless absolutely necessary. i finally figured out the registry hack to get around this, but it's a real PITA. Is there a rational explanation for this (or failing that, an official Microsoft explanation)?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Power Options (XP/SP2)

I say Welcome To The Lounge, albeit even under your apparent "unhappy" circumstances! I hope you find your visits here helpful. I've not looked for MS explanations for the categories of Administrator or other casual users, choosing instead to apply my own feelings about how a system should be controlled and maintained. The application of changes to "system-wide" settings, in which Power Options qualifies, SHOULD be limited with those chosen to have system-wide control. Other casual users, presumed to be less experienced, could and have had negative impacts on the overall operation of a computer and its operating system. As I see it, if a computer is used by only ONE person, the recommendation to use the machine on a daily basis in a non-administrator mode is a security protection recommendation and isn't a bad idea.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome!

1. You don't need to change Power Options frequently. Usually it's enough to set Power Options only once.

2. In business environment users call their Help Desk Support to change this setting. You can do it without login as Administrator, using

runas /user:administrator powercfg.cpl

command (you will prompt for Administrator password).

3. Sometimes, really, we must give administrator rights to users (usually to print on LAN printers from inside old DOS-based applications). But to me, your example can not be qualified as "absolutely necessary".

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The Network Admins may NOT want the power saving turned on, because it MAY interfere with the network actions require. If your machine is asleep, they (IT) may not be able to preform maintenance as required, because it will not wake up.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.