Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting Excel into Word (Word 2003/Excel 2003 SP1)

I recently upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003. I have one document where in Word 2000 I would insert an Excel worksheet into the Word document. I never had a problem with this feature in 2000. 2003 does not recognize the Excel document as a file type that can be viewed or inserted.

I know I must be missing a check box or a component to install, but I'll be darned if I can find it. I would think that if it was a component it would have come up as one of those install on first use items, but it didn't. I tried going into the advanced customization from Add/Remove programs and cannot find a setting for Excel.

Word had no problem when I just copied and pasted the data from Excel into the document, but that isn't what I want, nor do I want to insert the worksheet as an object.

Anyone have ideas on what I missed?

Thanks,

-rich

Thanks

Re: Inserting Excel into Word (Word 2003/Excel 200

You used Insert>File... and inserted an XLS file? In Word 2002, I get a converter dialog, then a security prompt, then the dialog to choose the sheet or range (see attached picture). Is it possible that your Word 2003 security is cranked up to the point where it just skips the security prompt? Perhaps one thing to do is check the box under Tools>Options...>General to "Confirm conversion at open" and see if you even get the first dialog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

I changed the setting you suggested but I do not get Excel files as a conversion type... I basically get various Word types and rtf, txt etc, and XML, HTML and Outlook. This again leads me to believe that the Excel file type converter did not get installed but I cannot find it anywhere on the options or in the add/remove on the CD.

-rich

Lounger
    Thanks

As a further follow up, attached are shots of my options: one is the converters offered in the Office set up, the others are the options displayed in Word when I go to insert the Excel File:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Hopefully someone with Office 2003 will be able to say whether there is another hiding place for this, or you have to download the converters from Microsoft's web site.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the follow up. I read through Que's Special Edition for Word 2003 today and there is no mention of using the insert|file system. They cover inserting as an object, which doesn't work correctly because of reformatting, or copying from Excel and pasting into Word.

Lounger
    Thanks

It's official: You can no longer use Insert|File for Excel in Word 2003. You have to use Insert|Object (which has horrible problems) or copy and paste.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that's a strange feature to omit. I don't have Word 2003 to experiment. MS has a short article showing how to insert a portion of an Excel workbook that is specific to Word 2003. I'm not doubting you, but do you have a source for the omission?

Lounger
    Thanks

Phil:

The answer came from an MVP over on the official Microsoft Forums.

I've already seen the article you site, but the problem is that you CANNOT actually insert an Excel file. In my earlier response, check out the list of file types that Word 2003 allows for conversion in Insert|File.

My belief is that this was a late change and thus was not documented. I've only encountered questions from people seeking answers to what happened on all the forums I've searched. Nobody has posted that Insert|File has a download or other option in 2003. The response I got on the MS forum today was the first time I have seen security mentioned as a reason for losing this feature.

Frankly, it doesn't make sense to me. There must be some other mechanism that will work because inserting the worksheet as an object does not work if the worksheet is longer than a page. Copy and paste is just so 20th century!