New Lounger
    Thanks

?Space needed on Hard Drive (XP Pro)

I have to just say, I feel totally daft. I've been getting Woody's emails for years and have only today discovered this site. Groan...... would have been so useful over the last couple of years. Ah well, I'm here now. And I have a small question that hopefully an expert can help me with. I am running 3 computers on a home network, all using XP Pro. One - a pretty old one that the kids use, has only 4GB hard drive. It has been running XP Pro for some time, but I have just discovered that the auto update feature wasn't working. Or at least I think it wasn't. I went to manually check for updates as I was having a problem with Media Player and found masses (24 hours worth) of downloads. Yes I'm still on the old fashioned dial up - lucky to get 24k connection speed!
    Anyway, I think the reason it wasn't working was because it always tried to download SP1 first and when I did this manually it told me I didn't have sufficient space to install it. I don't know much about what runs on the computer, but I've deleted pretty much everything I can identify as not required and also moved all our files to the main computer. And I still don't have enough room. I'm just trying to find out how much room XP Pro should be using and whether 4gb is sufficient to run it and leave room for this update. If so, then I must have something lurking in the background that I don't know about. Wouldn't have a clue where to start with that, but I'll worry about it when I know the answer to the first part.
    If anyone can help, I would be very grateful and thanks in advance.
    Wendy

Thanks

Re: ?Space needed on Hard Drive (XP Pro)

I would think about upgrading the hard drive. My Windows" directory alone is 2.4 gb.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions