New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2K hanging on loading (Outlook 2000)

I have a problem with an Outlook mailbox when viewed from Outlook 2000 from any machine.

The mailbox concerned has approaching 200,000 messages in it and contains the journalled email for the last year. I was recently asked to search the mailbox for certain messages and found that the best way albeit slow way to locate messages to/from a person was using a filter in one of the message views. Of course it took a very long time (up to 20 mins or more) to display anything. However it always defaulted on restarting to a non filtered view.

Unfortunately now Outlook starts with the flash - displays the Outlook screen behind - eventually displays the folder list behind but then fails to display the message window. I'm guessing that the default view has now been left as a filtered one which is timing out before it has time to complete. Windows upon being given the three fingered salute of course shows Outlook as "Not Responding".

Whilst the same happens when I try and view the mailbox from OL97 I can still view the data on the Exchange 5.5 server via a bare NT Exchange Client.

Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the Exchange views for Outlook for a mailbox ?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2K hanging on loading (Outlook 2000)

I have partially solved this particular problem. Found a reference to a cleanviews comand line startup option that I tried on the main culprit pc.

It appeared to have worked. I then exited and reloaded Outlook and all was fine.

However I thought I would then test the mailbox on another copy of OL 2000 and lo and behold it still hung and then it did likewise on a copy of OL97.

Now the original has also gone back again.

Anyone help?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Solved it. A couple of reboots later and they are all back in sync. Perhaps changes only get sent up to the Exchange Server on exiting OL. Previously I may not have exited OL on one pc before trying it on one of the others.

All sorted now though.

Thanks

You have 200,000 items in a single folder? Once upon a time, the limit was about 16,000, then I think they doubled it, but.... I think you may be exceeding the efficient capacity of the system. Perhaps you can find a way to move some of these messages into other folders that still provides you the functionality you need.