New Lounger
    Thanks

Filename field only updates manually (2003 SP1)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 02-Sep-04 13:15. to make the subject meaningful for future searches)</P>I usually insert Page # and filename in the footer of all documents, seperated by a dash. Filename consists of datefilename so I can keep multiple versions of the same document. When I do a save as and change the date in the filename, the footer filename never changes and I have to do it manually. I am sure that previous versions of Word would do the automatic substitution of the filename in the footer. Anyone else experiencing this problem. Is it a bug or just a Microsoft feature.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Filename field only updates manually (2003 SP1

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 02-Sep-04 13:17. to update subject to match previous post)</P>Hi Cazulp,
    If you inserted a dash inbetween the date and filename, make sure the dash is not inserted in the field by accident. If you change the field value by typing in it, it will not update!
    Just a suggestion. If it is not that, delete the footer info and insert it again on the first page. This should refresh the footer and repel the info accross the pages!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Filename field only updates manually (2003 SP1

So far as I remember, Word doesn't automatically update the filename field in a footer until it repaginates the document. Switching to Print Preview, to normal & back to Print Layout, or printing should update the field. For a more complete explanation as to when fields are updated: see 212054 - WD2000: Some Fields Are Updated While Other Fields Are Not.
    Cheers,