New Lounger
    Thanks

Blocked Word and Excel attachments (6.00.2800.1123)

Recently, something started blocking .doc and .xls attachments in Outlook Express on my office pc. All other file types seem to be allowed. I do not believe that the settings in OE are the culprit as I am not getting the usual message banner that says "OE has blocked the following attachments...." Instead, I see the following message in the email body "Potentially Dangerous Attachment Removed. The file "Doc1.xls" has been blocked. File quarantined as: ""." To further confuse matters, I have discovered that if I forward the messages directly from my ISP to my Hotmail account and then check the Hotmail account (using OE) the attachments are allowed. This same problem exists on both NT and 2K machines. Both machines are using Trend OfficeScan and all the latest updates from Microsoft. The problem doesn't exist on my home machine, which is running Win98 and Trend Pccillin. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

Re: Blocked Word and Excel attachments (6.00.2800.

Does PC-cillin's scan log show that it is removing the attachments and, if so, where it is putting them? Unless there is another filter between you and your ISP, that seems to be the most likely explanation. If these are false alarms, and there's no other solution, you might be able to set PC-cillin to ignore those document types.

Also, if you recently installed Windows XP SP2, maybe Microsoft is blocking its own files? (That seems rather unlikely, doesn't it.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

It appears to be something other than Trend. I tried turning off Trend scanning and sent myself some test email. Same result. I could receive the attachments if I used OE to check the Hotmail account but not if I checked it on my ISP account. I am guessing that it has something to do with the recent patches to W2K or IE, or both.

Thanks

You might check with whoever does IT at your company. If they are using a gateway scanning product, perhaps they've cranked up the security too high??