3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two different page numbers on one page (Word 2000 / winXP pro)

My document is assembled from a number of previously published documents, each of which has it's own page numbering scheme. I need to preserve these page numbers, in the header of the new document, but also have a new page number for the whole of the new document in the outside edge of the footer.

If I set the header page number format to show arabic chapter and page numbers in section one, and the header page number format to roman numerals in section two, I cannot then set the footer to run plain page numbers throughout the whole document - word just changes the header number format to match the latest footer setting. Is there a way to solve this? I did look at fields but could not see a way ( I tried putting a table in the header with one cell having Chapter Number field but it did not work.)

Thanks in advance

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Two different page numbers on one page (Word 2

Hi Frank:
    Here's what I would try. In the header, restart numbering in each section. Format each section as Arabic. Then, in the {page} field use a numeric picture switch. e.g. {page * roman} will display as Roman. In order to have two separate numbering systems in the same document, one restarting & one continuous, however, you must use a a technique like the one mentioned in <!mskb=155199>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 155199<!/mskb>.

You might also look at <post#=404081>post 404081</post#> regarding the display of page numbers.
    Hope this helps,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hi Phil
    Thanks for this advice. After posting my query, i did find the kb article you mention and had a go last night using seq fields. I am using w2000 and the article says word 97, and i did find that the footer part of the solution produced an error, although the header worked well. maybe the fields work differently in Word 2000?

I shall keep trying with the use of fields, and also found the earlier post of yours useful to.
    thanks again
    frank

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Phil

Thanks so much for the sample document - it works perfectly and shows me just how to implement the scheme!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Frank:
    I use Word 2000 also, & the fields should work the same. I've attached a sample. If you open the document & press Alt+F9, you can view all the field codes. You can check to make sure that you've done it correctly, or you can copy & paste the fields.

Note: in your document, you should format the fields that are in the main document as hidden & as 1 pt. Then you can set Tools/Options/Print to not printed hidden text. Of course, you have to make sure that you don't delete them. I didn't try it this time, but I think you can put these codes inside a frame (not a text box) & move the frame into the margin. Format it without lines & it'll be invisible. That way, it will be unlikely to be deleted if others edit the document.
    Hope this helps,
    Attached Files Attached Files